Friday, December 29, 2006

Good Stuff Junky

A few posts ago I talked about how it's hard to be a runner sometimes. Today I would like to discuss how it's hard to be a sane runner sometimes. Sometime in my post-marathon stir-crazy over-ambitiousness I decided I should run seven days a week. Even after I started to be bogged down with aches and pains I stubbornly stuck to this schedule. I finally was forced to not run one day because I had to travel for work and voila! My aches and pains got better. But then I proceeded on with my stubborness until I got cranky with mrp for scolding me about running too fast and running too many miles and realized that I was in a running-mania induced fog. I had become one of those people too. Running, frankly, is addictive. I've noticed in an out-of-body sort of way that I exhibit addict like thinking and behaviour about running. Like, I obsess about it, plan my life around it, occasionally resent my family and friends and co-workers who get in the way of it, and snap at mrp when he wags his finger at me about it. I feel sad on days when I don't do it on good days and on bad days I feel anxiety about it--am I a wuss? will my fitness level go down? am I dooming myself to a performance plateau? am I now a fat lard ass?

Now bef0re you plan an intervention, let me just say that I feel this way SOMETIMES, especially when I don't have a plan to stick to and to consult for what I should be doing on any given day. Also, I hate being unhealthy about anything and can only be that way for so long before I catch it and get better. I want to do things the right way. I want to work hard and focus and improve as a runner--I want to improve as much as I can in the short time I have for this training cycle. I know injuring myself and burning out now is not conducive to that. I am working on a sane training schedule that will help me get to where I want to be and I'm happy and excited about that. And for the record, that schedule peaks at the same weekly mileage as the last training cycle and includes one day off from running every week. So really, even though it's hard I can be a good girl healthy runner.


Now if I could just get back in the routine of doing ab exercises every night and throw away those damn cookies...

No comments: