Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Hard Work and Good Times

Work is busy, y'all. I had to be a hard-ass and announce to the world that I could get this memo updated in two days when I really could use about four days to get it done. I've been cranking on it all yesterday and all today so I should have it finished on time, but still. Why do I do these things to myself. Shall I answer my own rhetorical question? Sure, why not. 'Cause it's fun.

In other news I relieved the stress I caused myself by heading to the track at lunch. I did 5 x 200/200/400. Now, all you nonrunners should remember this from last week's lesson. I had the same target times (44 seconds for the 200's and 88 for the 400's). Well, guess what. It was windier this week than last. I still managed to do pretty well except for one abysmal 400:


43, 43, 89

43, 43, 89

44, 44, 92! (wtf?!)

44, 44, 89

43, 43, 89


Other than mutant 400 I was pretty darn consistent, eh? Again I made it so the last 100 meters of the 400s was straight into the wind. I'm not sure what happened in that third 400. It was really windy during that one--maybe I got blown around or maybe I was tired and lost focus. Honestly I have no idea. I do know my first 1/2 of that 400 was 1-2 seconds slower than the others (45 seconds) and there was no way I was going to make up time on the last 1/2 with the wind in my face so perhaps it was shot from the getgo.


Anyway, it's not even all that bad, but it is weird in light of the consistency of the rest of the workout. Oh well. Otherwise, I felt really strong. My right IT band has been acting up again but it wasn't too bad today. I'm kind of getting used to always running with some niggling injury or another. I keep thinking that I'm going to take a break from marathon training after Boston. It's an idea that makes me happy right now. I love training but I love other stuff too. It doesn't mean I won't run, it just means I can run when and how I want rather than forcing myself into breaking my body down which is what the point of marathon training is--sick and twisted, I know. I love those free range weeks in between training cycles where I can just pop in and run a 5 mile race if I feel like it or skip a day or run my usual 6 miler fast just for fun rather than plodding through it at recovery snail's pace. At the same time, I love the hard work of training and I love pushing myself beyond what I think I can do. I love improving and I love wearing myself out. So I'm cool with training now, but I'm happy about the inevitable post-Boston break too.


As for my tenants, I guess things went well. King asshole got a new throne--or toilette I should say. What a douche. My step-dad/handyman even thought he was a prick. Anyway, I need to get back to the grind here to meet my self-imposed absurd deadline. Why do I get myself into this stuff again?

No comments: