Tuesday, March 20, 2007

I Know I Have It in Here Somewhere

Tonight I am redoing last week's tempo run and I am nervous I won't hit my targets again. Sometimes I get nervous about a workout. I know that's weird, right? Race anxiety makes sense, but workout anxiety? Crazy Talk! I think part of it is that now that I've settled on a goal time I am second-guessing my ability to achieve that goal. If I'm not hitting my marks in my workouts, then that's a sign I won't hit my marks during the race! Oh no!! Of course, that's not necessarily true for a variety of reasons--I don't structure my running to peak for a workout and I do structure it to peak for the race and there might be things like not being fully recovered or horrible wind gusts and crowds of people that interfere with meeting goal times in a workout that won't be there in the race--but it still bugs me out a little when I don't meet my goals. I need a good workout tonight to build confidence. I need to hit (or at least come remotely close to) my 7:10, 7:00, 7:00, 6:50, 6:50, 6:40 mile splits. I can do it! I can do it! I can do it! Sing it with me now!

I do have a lot of things making me confident I can run a 3:10 in LESS THAN 4 WEEKS! I had a very good long run on Saturday. I ran with a new friend for the first 14 miles. It was nice to run with a she who is equally into training as me. It was so fun to compare training notes and war stories. I am looking forward to running with her again. Anyway, we ran on a snowy trail and clipped along averaging 8:34 pace for the 14. The footing was somewhat bad and we both agreed we were probably putting in around an 8:15 effort. The 14 miles just flew by and when new friend left I was feeling good. I picked up the pace a little, dropping it down to about 8:20 or so. I took a second gu around mile 17.5 and ran up one more mile before turning around. At this point I decided to push the pace. I was trying and trying to drop it down to goal MP but the footing in this stretch of the path was really bad. For the last four miles I managed to trip twice and pull out a 7:45, 7:45, 7:35, 7:25 to pull into the final mile marker in 30:30 for the last 4 miles. I jogged the .25 miles or so back to the parking lot logging 22.6 or so miles for the day. I know my effort was much faster than those mile splits indicate, but like I said above I need some quantitative hard evidence I am capable of my goal, dammit!! I am getting frustrated by having to adapt to winter and its messing with my head! Anyway, I know I worked hard because my shoulder was so sore later in the day!!! The wonky arm strikes again!! But seriously, my legs felt fine after the run. They were definitely tired and I was waddling around but they were not in the least bit ouchy!! Even on Sunday nothing hurt. I ran 8 miles pretty easily and hardly feeling like it was a recovery run.


The fact that I am able to recover so quickly from all that hard stuff in the beginning of last week and the long long run this week really gives me confidence. I am also actually excited to do a goal pace long run on Sunday and I know I can hit my splits. I am just having anxiety that all the rest of my workouts are going to be messed up by wind or crappy running surfaces or chest colds and I won't get that empirical evidence this numbers junky needs to have coucoucoucourage on race day!

2 comments:

Jim said...

Be careful out ther Salty - would hate to see you turn an ankle because you were running harder than you should in the conditions. A wonky arm is one thing, but a wonky ankle? Ewwwwwwww!

GP said...

Although I'm not as seasoned a runner, I totally understand your anxiety with training goals and need for quantitative evidence before your race (I'm the same with swimming... and someday with running. You know, when it's more about kicking butt and less about survival.). But you'll hit it, girl!

Besides, this wonky weather will get you more than the arm. It's going to rain from now until... eternity, but at least it won't freeze (knock on wood). So, I guess the weather-affected footing all depends on the surface.