Saturday, March 10, 2007

Over the Hills and Through the Flats to St. Malachi's We Go!

So that whole thing about not going out too fast. Oops, I rounded the corner and heard the mile mark caller outer yell 5:38, 5:39, 5:40 as I passed. YEAH RIGHT!!! I have never run a mile that fast in my entire life!!!!! It was definitely short, but quite flattering--heh. I went with it. I ended up running a pr by almost 50 seconds. I averaged 6:25/mile and I felt great. I eased up on the uphills and used the downhills and flats to recover and push and then when I rounded the final corner to my buddy hill I pushed and pushed and if it was flat I would have come in under 32 but it wasn't and I'll just have to be proud of myself for passing a couple guys and closing the gap between me and the 4th place woman coming in just 1 second behind her and 13 seconds behind 3rd place. 3rd place actually ran with me most of the race, but she surged ahead with about 3/4 of a mile to go and I didn't go with her knowing my buddy (the hill) was still waiting for me. Looking back, I should have and probably could have. Oh well. I haven't really spent much time even caring about actually racing other runners versus running a good time for myself. I suppose that will become something new to try next race.

I have to work on my brief today--I'm actually in the middle of working on it now but having a hard time focusing. I was so thrilled yesterday when the attorney for the petitioner (the party asking the Supreme Court to take their case) told me my brief was really good and added a lot of value to their petition. My boss (actually, boss's boss, but who's counting) also gave me his stamp of approval. I was so sweating it, worried it sucked, but it's good! Hoorah!


In other news I still heart mrp. He is so supportive and funny and tolerant of my shenanigans. Ok, I need to get back to work now.

4 comments:

Jim said...

Congratulations Salty One! Sounds like you ran a smart and hugely successful race.

Kris said...

Congratulations on the ribbon. My biggest thing, was not letting another dog or old lady pass me as I panted to the finish.

GP said...

Many congrats to you! I'm glad you had a great race. It was a fantastic experience, and I'm really grateful for your encouragement, advice and your own racing story.

And, fortunately, the dog wasn't dressed in a costume!

Papa Louie said...

Congratulations on a well run race. You are impressively fast. Keep up the good running.