Saturday, April 21, 2007

Beantown Bummer

It's been a few days now and I've had a lot of time to think about what happened in Boston. I am disappointed still. I am not disappointed with myslf really. I am disappointed in the weather and in my body--you know, that stuff I just had to roll with. I was looking forward to working hard and pushing myself the last few miles, running hard through fatigue and pain and all that but it came down to a stupid stitch that prevented that from happening. There is nothing I can do once a stitch takes over. If I fight it it just latches on tighter so I just have to let it do it's thing. I've come to accept stitches as just something that happens from time to time that I just have to deal with. They tend to happen the week before my period for whatever reason and are exacerbated by wind and downhills. So I knew of the real potential for that to happen in Boston, and I was prepared for it and I did deal with it the best I could. But that fact just doesn't make the end result any easier to stomach (sort of pun?) If I ran to the point of redlining and came in with a 3:18 that would leave me more satisfied that I feel now. My disappointment in Boston also builds on my disappointment in New Orleans, where I ran a half marathon shooting for a 1:29:59, but had a raging head and chest cold and ended up running a 1:31:57. Given my state at the time, I felt pretty good at my ability to keep fighting despite the conditions, but when it happens again it makes me wonder if maybe neither missed goal had anything to do with the conditions--even though I really deep down know that's not true. I suppose thems just the breaks, you know. I suppose it's better to get those not so good races in the past to open the door to good races in the future. There is definitely a lot of positive that comes out of this disappointing race, but I need a post to deal with the disappointment so I'm going to leave it at this.

6 comments:

Chelle said...

There's nothing wrong with feeling disappointed...I mean, how much more fun would it be right now to be writing about your 3:07?? It's still a stepping stone on your route though and there's bound to be information gleaned from looking back on both your race and your training. It's also only fair to yourself to recognize the elements that were totally out of your control (the flu, the weather).

I thought I was totally ready to break 3 when I ran Grandma's Marathon, but not enough sleep and travel fatigue probably left me a little wearier than I should have been and that's when it really hit me that running a marathon the week before your period really does make a difference. I'm a big proponent of using the pill to manipulate where you are in your cycle for a big race once you know you're sensitive to those hormonal changes. My doctor thought I was a little crazy when I asked him to help me do this, but that's okay...I just went and found a new doctor!

Jim said...

You have every right to say how you feel Salty, and I commend you for getting that post off your chest.

You had trained so well and so smart and everything was in place for you to do the amazing race you knew you were capable of, but things beyond your control conspired against it.

Congrats for handling it as well as you are. I know for dang sure you will be back on the marathon race course soon and everything (or most everything, anyway) will go YOUR way next time.

Ginger Breadman said...

I think you ran an excellent race in Boston - you can only ask of yourself to do what your body can do on the given day. You took the race conditions and your body, and I think you really did the best that you could do with those. Be happy. And those small time increments compared to your goals for the marathon and that half - in the big picture, with the given circumstances - those times are actually pretty amazingly close to your goals.

Take what you've learned, wear your marathon swag with pride, and set some goals for your next race.

Joe said...

Don't be so hard on yourself. It the valleys in racing, and in life, that makes the peaks so much more rewarding. Yeah, it's a cliché, but it's true. Besides, your apparent struggles made your race report that much more gripping to read. I read a lot of Boston race reports but yours is right up there with the best of the best. Keep running and writing, Salty.

Papa Louie said...

We learn from the good and bad. It's all a learning and I don't think we'll ever graduate from learning who we are and what we're capable of being.
We could run Cleveland together to make up for the little bump at Boston. Besides why let the great shape we're in go down hill so quick.

GP said...

You're allowed to feel disappointed, and I can imagine that posting about it might relieve a little bit for you. It helps me.

It may not mean much coming from a little running pipsqueak like myself, but I thought it was a truly admirable performance. Come on, you ran some kick-butt miles through weather that was so bad it was reported in Zimbabwe and South Korea, and you made it through stitchville. Wow-wee!

But I think if we really try hard, we can find a cure for stitches and be raised on the shoulders of millions!