Tuesday, April 03, 2007

The Big Salty Picture

Ok. I can really stop eating these @*$%@#%&*@ pretzels any time now. Now you know why I'm the salty one. Heh. I really do more than snack, I swear (I mean, I don't swear. You know what I mean!). Sometimes it amazes me how much food I can put away while marathon training. I really hope that one day when I'm not training I'll be able to put a halt to the hoggitude.

Now that it's taper time there isn't much to discuss about my day to day running. Who wants to hear about my blistering 8:54 paced 4 miler yesterday or about my exciting 11 with 6 miles at goal pace planned tonight? Not me. Since I am not allowed to spend any WOOHOO for a couple weeks, there isn't much to discuss about my runs these days. Sure, I am planning to run a 5k on Saturday, but it will be a small race run solely to prepare for a big race, in that it won't be a WOOHOO race, but maybe just a woohoo race. Actually, it will be a good way to go through the race rituals and get the legs moving one last time too. I can practice racing in my racing shoes and my new more sophisticated watch while running hard and fast, yet relaxed. This last point is really the main reason for running the 5k--learn to race relaxed.


Speaking of relaxed, I'm starting to get that taper nervousness. I think that explains the pretzels. I just feel antsy and jittery and a little performance anxiety-y. I know that I have done everything I can do to run a great marathon. AllI need to do now is stick to the program, as mrp says. If the weather is bad or if the pasta I ate the night before is bad there's nothing I can do about it. I have to remember that I'm strong and tough so when I feel weak and wussy I can remind myself of the truth. I have to focus on all the stuff I love about running and racing. Even when I'm tired and don't want to run any more I love running. I love busting through that feeling and proving how tough and strong I really am. I like it when I surprise even myself! Even more importantly, I run for fun. I run marathons for no other purpose than to have fun really. Nothing other than my own pride is on the line, so what the heck--just get out there and put one foot in front of the other. Left foot right foot left foot right foot...


Oh, and lay off the pretzels and bad words too.

3 comments:

Joe said...

Do you think you'll win the "warm up" 5K race?

GP said...

I've always had a serious problem with the hoggitude (my god do I love good food!), and training is just one great excuse... err, reason to proceed as necessary.

Although I've always been pretty impartial to Sheryl Crow, I read an interview with her once in which she said she didn't like food and didn't really care for eating. That interview really colored my view of her songs ever since.

But I like to think of my eating this way: I have enough will power and self-control to train hard and maintain a pretty tough schedule, so my eats-a-lot activities can't be that bad.

Except, of course, when it comes to certain foods that I cannot name right now for my own well being.

So, eat up, girl!

Good luck on your 5K and all the best on your continued training! How many days until Boston?

P.S. It is a small world, after all! I grew up in Euclid and went to the not-so-private public high school there. And I know the school to which you're referring. I knew the setting of your one blog posting sounded familiar!

Chelle said...

Hey there...thanks for your recent comment on my blog. It's pretty cool actually, you're the same age as I was when I first got serious about the running and trained really hard to break 3:10 in Boston. And I did...3:09 in 2002 (woo hoo!)

No doubt about it, the 30's are a great time for runners, women especially, to really develop their abilities. Do you have your training for the past few months posted anywhere public? I'd be curious to see if you got to where you are at this point about the same way I did.

To break three hours I had to start running really ridiculous mileage, but don't even think about that until after April 16th!

By the way, I ran a 5Ks the weekend before my first sub-3 attempt and thought it was a great confidence booster. Just keep your head about you and as my college coach used to say in his thick Long Islang accent, "Don't be a maniac!"

Also, have you run the Boston course before? Just keep in mind that the first half will feel WAY too easy what with the adrenaline and the downhills. Again, just keep your head about you and stick to your pace plan. I did the first 10 miles in 6:45s the year I ran the 3:09 so that kind of says all that needs to be said.