Saturday, April 07, 2007

When Life Throws You Snowballs in April

Well, that was interesting. The Indians home opener was cancelled twice, or three times if you count today's double header and there was no 5k today. We had a blizzard over night and this morning and the footing was too bad to run hard. So mrp and I, being the resourceful little runners that we are, entered the half-marathon and ran it easy to get our last long run in before Boston. We ran a blistering 1:43, which was about 8:00 pace for the first 9 miles and then 7:35, 7:35, 7:15, 7:00 for the last 4. I needed to practice my water/gatorade drinking anyway, so it turned out to be a good thing. It sure was cold (20 degrees at the start!) but we had a really fun time. I was ready to rock out a 5k, but now I'll just have something to look forward to after the marathon. Hope everybody else is having better weather this weekend!

6 comments:

Jim said...

Sheesh, what a change of plans! You continue to amaze and inspire me.

Chelle said...

A half the weekend before a marathon, bold move. You ran it really smart though and it probably helped to work out a little of the tension that builds up at the end. Is yer boy running Boston too? Mine was supposed to, but he didn't get in the training he wanted to so he's holding off for something later. Maybe Cleveland even, though I've got to imagine the weather gets risky there by late May.

GP said...

Running a half on a whim — that's some serious skillz. With a 'z.'

I'm going to spend the next week channeling some good weather vibes for you in Boston. I hear that jet stream is to blame. And I'm going to give it a stern talking to...

Have a great, relaxing week!

Joe said...

Wow, great time for an "easy" half marathon!

I'm curious. I know Boston is next week and I was wondering: what is your training schedule for this week? Hopefully I can learn something from it. I want to make sure that I don't over train the last week before my May 6th half marathon.

Papa Louie said...

I had fun running 10 miles in the wet and heavy snow. You made a wise decision to run the half. Good job. Enjoy an easy week, then it's Boston.

Joe said...

> Maybe I missed it,
> but what's your goal
> in the half?

My goal is 1:40 but I think I've got a shot at 1:38 or 1:39.