Thursday, May 17, 2007

Signs Point to...

So, did I tell you I'm running a half-marathon on Sunday? Can you explain why I thought that was a good idea? No? Ok, fine, I'll do it myself. Because it will be fun! I actually kind of think so. Part of me is all "UGH that is going to be 90 minutes of ouch and I am so not ready to race again and the longest I've run in 5 weeks is 9 stinking miles." And the rest of me is all "it will be fun to see what kind of shape I'm in and to run around my city and half-marathons only really hurt the last couple of miles anyway if they're paced right." Yeah, I love the idea that races are sort of this magic eightball that reveals whether your in the shape you think you're in. Races will tell you: if your training is right for you; if you're overtrained; if your undertrained; if your smoking crack thinking you can run that particular time; or if you're way underestimating your sheer awesomeness. They can also just say, "yo, you're having a bad day" too.

But seriously, do I really care how it goes? Well, the answer is yes and no. I do want to break 1:30 for a half very badly. I KNOW I was in shape to do it at the end of February but that stupid cold/flu/tuberculosis or whatever I had just prevented that from happening. I suspect I'm in shape to do it now. I worked my booty off these last few months getting in shape for Boston. Surely if I was in shape to run a 3:10 marathon a month ago, I'm in shape to run a sub 1:30 half now. Plus, my legs actually feel alive now, which has to be worth something. At the same time, I don't really feel like this is the be all end all kind of race. I know if it doesn't go well that I'll have a good race again one of these days. If I have a bad couple of races this Spring, what's the big deal? I can't force it anyway. So, I'll just keep plugging along, working hard and being patient and that good race will come just like that cream always rises to the top.

Oh, and in the interest of self-promotion I should let you know tomorrow is the day I have to change my little profile blurb because it will no longer be accurate. It's the day I turn...gulp...32!

5 comments:

Angie said...

Good luck with your race and Happy Birthday!! Ahhh.... 32. That was a good year.

Jim said...

Happy Birthday! You don't look a day over 25. Have a great race.

AddictedToEndorphins said...

Hi!
First off, happy birthday!!

Second, thanks for the comment on my blog. I was thinking about it today, and I feel like I want to train for the full marathon. I, however will go into it with the mind set that my body dictates, not my schedule, and if I feel myself burning out, I'll stop, and start again in the fall.

I understand it is a time commitment, but the great thing about that, is that I can make time for it. All I have to do this summer is work, and the place where I work is very supportive of what I do...and I'll be moving to a place with beautiful places to run..

At this point, it does seem almost impossible to do a full. I felt like I was going to die at 19km during the half, how am I going to do another 23km...That's the beauty of what I consider to be a challenge.

I do like what you said about getting my half time down to where I could BQ...That could be a backup plan. I want to prove everyone wrong that said I would never do it. I'll just cheer them on during the half.

You mentioned that it would probably take me 5+ hours to complete a marathon right? That's where I am right now? Do you think I will improve any in 18 weeks?!

Thanks for your offer of help. If you have a training program, I would like to look at it. I think this is something that I want to try. I am not going to have high expectations (or atleast I will try not to), but I want to try it.

Thanks for everything,
Tiger

Papa Louie said...

Have a great run Sunday. I'm running the 10K maybe I'll see you there. I hope you had a Happy Birthday.

DaisyDuc said...

Guess you were ready!!!

Happy belated birthday!!!