Friday, July 27, 2007

Getting Specific

I know at the end of my Boston recap I mentioned running off to apply for the New York marathon. Well, shortly after that mrp and I started discussing getting married and we decided the fall would be a good time. Since getting married is more important than running (running is important, but not THAT important, now!), we decided that a very expensive weekend in New York to run a marathon around the same time as our wedding might cause us a bit of stress. So, we decided to make alternate arrangements. Instead of New York, I'm headed back to Columbus.

So now, I am ready to switch up my training to be more marathon-specific. To help focus on being marathon-specific I need to get a good handle on my time goal. This is where things get interesting. I'm a very happy running camper right now. I have had two very solid months of training and I feel great. I am also getting stronger. Sure, my races tell me that, but I can just tell. My legs feel super lately (don't worry, I knocked) and that's even with 8 weeks of 60 miles or so for each. Based on my training and my races, my coach says my new marathon target pace is 6:55! The thought of running that pace for 26 miles would have caused me to puke last year, but I actually think I can do it and maybe then some. Which conveniently would get me to the finish with a magical time with a 2 as the first number instead of a 3! Could you imagine?! I know at this point that running a time like that is far from a sure thing. I need to be very careful to stick to my coach's plan (which so far has been brilliant!)--everything from the timing of the runs, to the supplemental stuff like calisthenics, to hitting my target paces, no more no less. I also have to take very good care of myself to minimize my stress, eat well, and get sufficient sleep these next 2 months. Control, self-restraint, and patience balanced with hard work, dedication, and drive is what I need.

Those first three things have always been harder for me than the last three, but lately I am starting to really dig pursuiting them. It's worked for the past 2 months, anyway!

In other news, I joined a team.* It's not something I ever really saw myself doing. I've almost exclusively trained alone and I never thought I'd get good enough that anyone would want me on their team (I don't mean to be self-deprecating--I just never expected that I'd have some bit of talent at this!). I'm excited, though to have a network of serious runners to tap into and provide my services as a solid performer for team top-10 finishers bragging rights, relay legs, and things like that. I am one of the slowest people on the team, so I am inspired a) by the dedication and hard work of these amazing runners, and b) to get better and not humiliate myself--heh! Although, in my defense, I think I have been running the shortest amount of time of anyone on the team, too, so I have a lot of room for improvement! So, thanks to *E* for suggesting I do it!

*I should mention that I also ran one race, the one last weekend, as a member of my favorite running store's team. The store guy, *VR* asked me a while back if I'd like to run on his team and I agreed. I wore his uniform once, but I wore it proud running my best race thus far! Thanks VR!! Oh, and anyone in the Hudson, Ohio area (Yeah, G, I'm talking to you) go check out Vertical Runner!

7 comments:

Jim said...

How awesome would that be to break 3 hours! And to do it close to home. It will be a wedding present to yourself.

Quinto Sol said...

I hate to be so annal, but sub-3 is 6:52 pace... you may want to be more conservative and aim at a 3:05... then you can run your sub-3 next year. Whatever you decide, good luck!

The Salty One said...

I am running obssessed, so of course I know sub 3:00 is a 6:52 pace! Heh. I was saying the "and then some" might get me to the sub 3:00 :)

I know it's a long shot, but if things line up just right, I think I can do it. We'll know better in about a month if I run a good half or not.

Quinto Sol said...

Ahh, gotcha! What can I say? I have a reading disability :o) dyslexia anyone???

Papa Louie said...

Columbus would be the place for you to do it! Nothing wrong with having big dreams. If you don't plan and hope for a major challenging event then you'll never make your dreams come true.

Uptown Girl said...

Simply amazing! Good luck and I can't wait to follow your adventures towards that magical number...

GP said...

It sounds like a good choice to head to Columbus — New York will be there year after year. Besides: you and mrp can run it some other year for your anniversary ;-)

And I've been meaning to get to Vertical Runner! A guy I work with recommended it... but I always seem to be on my bike when I'm in the area. OK, on my bike to the cupcake place.

But I've been cutting back on the cupcakes (they're just not coming up as reserved energy quite as I had planned!) and need a new pair of shoes. So, I'm heading there soon. Thanks for the recommendation and reminder!

I have to know: will they be posting photos of their awesome team on the store walls? How cool is it to be asked to be part of a team? Great job on that!