Wednesday, August 29, 2007

A Little Break

I know, I know! It's been a whole week. How could I deprive you of my wit and insight for all this time? I'll answer that. Well, there really hasn't been a whole lot to say. I could go on and on about this workout and that workout, but cataloguing workouts is not exciting to read. Every once in a while it's ok I guess, but not as a general rule.

So how have things been going? Eh, not bad. It was crazy hot at the end of last week which made for a miserable 7 mile tempo and pretty much zapped me of all pep and enthusiam by the time I got to my first 20 miler of this training cycle on Sunday. Although, the long run was saved by splendid company, my friend *E* who is just tons of fun to run with and talk to about all kinds of crazy things. I did reach an all time weekly mileage high of 78 miles last week too. And I didn't feel too bad about that. I'm at 1900 miles for the year! That's even with a month+ in the 0-35 miles per week range. Also, this will be my first month ever to break 300 miles. I'm doing all that and feeling pretty good. Can't complain about that!

I've also switched now to my marathon specific phase of training. I'm down to just two hard runs a week, but they are both long. One will be 19-21 miles alternating miles at marathon pace and easy pace. The other will be 13-14 with 6 x 1 mile at half-marathon pace. I did my first run like that yesterday and it went pretty well all things considered.

I now do not have to run hard until Saturday and that makes me so happy! I need a mental break from workouts. I have had several days recently where I pull in the driveway afterwork and fantasize about not running! I think about crawling into bed and taking a nap, or planning that wedding I should be planning, or taking up a new hobby like paper airplane making, or running around my house chasing my cats with the vaccuum, or sitting on my butt and watching Wheel of Fortune (well, not really that last one because I think I rather sit in a chair and stare at the wall to be perfectly honest). When these kinds of thoughts are tempting it makes it a little more mentally difficult to haul my ass down the road with lactate filling my muscles and my heart rate reaching for its max and lord knows this lady does not need any extra mental barriers to completing a hard workout! So, the three uninterrupted days of trotting easily down the road or through the woods will hopefully recharge my brain and make running 19 miles with 9 at marathon pace seem like the greatest thing in the world on Saturday morning--even better than sleeping in!

2 comments:

GP said...

I'm hoping to pick up paper airplane-making after I finish my thesis... but I'm also planning on making everyone call me Master G when I'm done.

So, just muscle through the hard parts and we'll happily call you Marathon Queen Salty, Esq., as you vacuum-chase your cats with incredible speed and the greatest of ease.

And at least it's been a nice couple of days to be outside, hasn't it?

Joe said...

> How could I deprive you
> of my wit and insight
> for all this time?

Hehe. :-)