Wednesday, August 08, 2007

On Auto-Pilot

* So, the ridiculous amount of running is going ok. Definitely not great and definitely not horrible. Just ok. I really didn't expect 70 miles to feel much different from 60, but boy does it! It's just 10 miles, but it's a huge difference, at least to me. I think a lot of that has to do with this hellishly muggy weather we've been having. I've been risking dehydration just running an easy 4 miles in the morning, it's so muggy. But I've been very good about hydrating and taking my electrolyte tablets and I think I shall persevere! My legs do not hurt or anything and that is the most important thing. They are very tired though. They are just worn out and I am worn out generally. I almost fell asleep eating dinner last night! I ran 9 miles after work and then got home late. I cooked up some corn from the garden (mrp is the man!) and in between delicious bites I caught my head jerking and my brain totally zoning off! But it's a good feeling, like an I've-worked-really-hard-and-now-bed-will-feel-SO-GOOD feeling.

This morning I had to wake up early to get in a morning short run. I assumed I would feel Crappy (yep, with a capital C). But really, my legs are kind of on auto-pilot. I press the run easy button and they do their thing and before I know it I've run down my street, said hi to some neighbors, grimaced at cars speeding past, and gazed at adoreable twin fawns, and come home again. Tonight I'm running a 5k cross-country race so hopefully my 5k cross-country race button is working properly! I don't have very high expectations for this race. I'm not a seasoned cross-country runner and I'm kind of toasted right now, so we'll just have to see. But, I'm really looking forward to it. They race the men and women separately so it will be fun to race with just women and to wear spikes and get muddy too, of course!

*I hate using pictures from ads, but I really couldn't think of anything wittier. See, even my usually incredibly witty brain is tired!

4 comments:

E-Speed said...

good luck tonight. My cross race last night was miserable. I don't know how much more of this humidity I can take!

AddictedToEndorphins said...

Hey!! You're a machine! Good to hear the training is going okay!
Have fun with the 5k race. Can't wait to hear how it goes!

GP said...

Reading about super-runners' workouts and distances helps me put things into perspective. I was totally high-fiving myself for completing 100 miles in a month!

But at least there's plenty for me to work toward... and that'll just keep me off the streets. Or on them.

Be careful in this mug -- you don't want to drown. It's so humid (even in the early morning!) that I feel like I'm getting my running and swimming workouts at the same time.

DaisyDuc said...

Wow, that is a lot of miles you are putting in!!

Hope the race went well for you!