Friday, August 03, 2007

Up Up and Away

Did I ever tell you about my original career aspirations? When I was in kindergarten we had to go around the room and say what we wanted to be when we grew up. After the teachers, the firefighters, the policemen, and doctors, came me. "I want to be a hot air balloon driver," I said very assuredly. Well, a lot changes in 27 years!

Anyway, I was remembering this for some reason this morning as I trotted along in foggy mugginess on my morning run in the valley. I'm not sure why. Perhaps, it's just the time of year to think about hot air balloon driving?

Actually, I was contemplating how I am going to handle my mileage increases over the next couple of months. For the past two marathon cycles my mileage peaked in the 60's. Last cycle, there were some weeks where I ran a long run on Sunday and then one the next Saturday so it looks like I ran 75 or so in my log, but that's not really true. I pretty much topped out at 67 or something.

This week will be my first legit 70 mile week. The plan is to get up to the mid to high 70's by the end of this month and then peak at 80 by the end of next month. I am excited about it for the most part. I obviously really enjoy running and training, so having an excuse to do it more is cool. However, I know what it's like to train right along the edge of a breakdown. It can be pretty uncomfortable at times. Anticipating discomfort is not my thing. Once I'm in the situation I can handle it fine. It's the same with races sometimes. I get a little freaked right before the start but once I'm in it and running hard, I'm fine and actually enjoying myself. You know how it is--the minute or so before the doctor gives you the shot is always a million times worse than the actual shot. I think it's that I think I'm a wussy, but when push comes to shove I'm really a complete and total masochist!! Heh. So yeah, I'm a little anxious about upping the volume, but pretty excited too--especially if it means I'll be in the kind of shape I hope to be in by October!

4 comments:

Quinto Sol said...

Wow! You're entering elite territory... sub-3 should me more than doable if you stay injury-free.

GP said...

So, I have the shoes and the shorts. Now all I have to do is figure out how to actually run.

It was a fun trip to Vertical Runner -- I don't think I've been to a store in which I was helped by someone who had a clue. What a novel idea, eh?

When I was talking to Vince I mentioned that you had pointed me toward the store (I had to give credit where it's due), and his response was, "Yeah, she's really fast." So, not only were you picked to be on a team, you have a reputation. And a good one at that. Go you!

Papa Louie said...

Have you ever made it up in the balloon?
Looks like you are managing your mileage well. Up to 80 miles would be a dream come true for me. Enjoy your training!

AddictedToEndorphins said...

Wow...80 miles a week. That's A LOT of training. With the way your training seems to have been going I am sure you'll do fantastic! Have fun with it. Run Safe.