Wednesday, September 26, 2007

A Little Extra Sleep and---Bam! Optimism!

Did I ever tell you that sleeping is nice? Like super nice? Super duper nice? I cannot tell you how much better I feel right now than I did a week ago, two weeks ago, three weeks ago, etc. It's amazing what an extra half hour here and there can do for a girl. I haven't cried all week for one! Can you believe it?! I also haven't quit a workout or dozed off at the dinner table. Progress!

I have to admit that on Tuesday I even got 9 hours of sleep but I stole an hour from E-speed who I was supposed to meet at 7AM for a short run downtown. I overslept an entire hour! Thanks E for understanding (and for the inadvertant gift!) I missed our morning run, but was able to fit in my AM run in the nick of time by heading out at 11AM and catching 5+, with 4 of those in the company of DaisyDuc. It has been great to have a little extra company on these easy runs. Normally as I run them I just want to finish and not hurt anything. But when I have nice company I hardly notice I'm running at all. Thanks ladies! I even did the workout from heck last night and it went pretty smoothly. Well, as smoothly as a workout can go in 90 degree humid weather. We were about 10 seconds off the ideal pace, but I finished every rep feeling good and didn't get dehydrated. I'll take it!

So, things are looking up. I am getting super excited about my 10k relay leg this weekend. I can't wait to get out there and unleash the speed I have pent up in these old legs. The coach doesn't really advocate balls-out speedwork so I haven't really had the opportunity to go nutso lately. So, I'm due for a nice uptempo effort. I am also actually getting really psyched up about the marathon too. I was reading a little bit about the course and it just brought back memories from last year. I am so much stronger, I really can't wait to see what I can do. Maybe I've finally turned the corner out of that god-forsaken training tar pit. I think I'm going to make it!

Off topic, but probably on a more interesting note, Quinto Sol posed a question in the comment to my last post: what's the purpose of the wave workout--why not run a continuous goal paced effort instead? I wondered the same thing, actually. I can ask Tinman, but here's what I think based on my experience. I have spent much of the summer on threshhold training--long tempos at a little slower than threshhold pace and long intervals at a little faster than threshhold pace with short recoveries. At this point in the training cycle, I don't really need continuous miles at goal pace (which is a little slower than threshhold pace). What I do need is to learn to run the right pace at various stages of the race.

During the wave workouts I have to run goal pace fresh. I have to run goal pace when I'm getting bored in the middle of a long run. And I have to run goal pace when I just want plop down under a tree and be done! It's a way to get me as close to as tired as I'll be at the end of the marathon without breaking me down too much. Also, I have to keep those "rests" at a good clip, so it's not like I run goal pace and then jog. It really is a long continuous hard effort--just some parts are harder than others.

6 comments:

GP said...

Sleep is magical, and I'm glad you've managed to find some. I felt like a 6-year-old the other night when I fell asleep on the couch at 9:30 p.m. But I felt like a million bucks when I woke up at 7 the next morning.

I'm super pumped to hear that you're running a relay leg at Akron. While I probably won't get to cheer you on in person, I'll be whooping it up somewhere out there! Your rested, speedy legs will be ready to tear it up out there!

E-Speed said...

glad you are getting a bit more sleep. I swear by it!

Quinto Sol said...

There was this guy who liked to run similar training runs. The biggest difference was that he would do them on the track, alternating 400@5K with 400@MP for 25 laps. He claimed it took him three attempts to complete the workout. I never tried it.

I wonder if he borrowed it from the Tinman, after all he lived close by, in Moo-dison, Wis-cow-sin (as he would write).

Joseph P. Wood said...

I'm really hating you now Salty. The kid is waking up this week at odd hours and I want to ship her off to a Thai prison...nine hours...oh, the dream...

***

By the way, that MP/5k in and outs are GOLDEN if you can do them. Usually the first couple tries should be 2x2M or something. Vigil and Rubio both use them...

Joe said...

Sleep is good for you? Who knew?

DaisyDuc said...

I felt a soreness coming on in my throat Wed and Thurs...so I slept a ridiculous amount the last two nights and feel fantastic now...sleep can be so underrated!

I am digging this downtown running with the gals!