Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Night Light

Why do I insist on living so far from the equator? I am getting sick of feeling like I am cramming miles in before (or after dark). Stupid Earth's rotation.

Really though I need to start figuring out what the heck I'm doing. I expected the half-marathon to give me a clear picture of what my marathon goal should be. However, it really didn't. I feel like I have no idea what my goal should be. I feel much stronger than I did just a couple of months ago, but without those all important numbers I just am hesitant to pick a very ambitious goal. Of course I'd like to aim to eek in sub-3, but is that really realistic?

The only things that make me think sub-3 is a possibility is my mileage/workload, running the half untapered in crappy muggy weather, and the fact that I am handling my long workouts at that pace very well. Two long runs in a row now I've done fine alternating easy with marathon pace miles for 19-20 miles. But then again, my pr is 3:18. Granted that was in Boston, I felt like total crap, and in horrible weather, but still. It's a big leap from 3:18 to 2:59. I was in shape to run a 3:10-3:12 last spring in the right conditions but I trained pretty haphazardly and well, we all know about the Nor'Easter. So, I would be happy with anything under a 3:10 and very happy to be under 3:05 and simply ecstatic to be under 3:00 to be perfectly honest. Maybe just go for the sub 3:10 and see what happens?

Hmmm. But that's so...so... safe.

Anyway, it's just so hard to tell what kind of shape I'm in now because I am feeling beat down and beat up from this summer's workload. I haven't had a day off in so long and I haven't had a cutback week since May. Maybe I should wait until taper to figure it out?

I don't know. You guys know what I've been doing all summer. What do you think is a good goal?

4 comments:

Quinto Sol said...

7 min pace... 3:04

Quinto Sol said...

Okay... me again. I thought it over. I suggest you run the first ten in 70 minutes; if at this point you feel good, crank it up to 6:50s and evaluate again at 20. If feeling strong go for 6:40s for the last 10K.

That would give you a 2:42 negative split and your sub-3.

If at 10 you feel tired (sometimes it happens), sustain effort and finish with a 3:03:32.

Sounds easy I know. I forget who said that he didn't mind running a marathon, but he feared racing one.

Whatever you decide, I am confident you will do great in Columbus; after all, it's only your third 'thon.

Joseph P. Wood said...

I think Quinto's advice is spot on here. Let the first 13 be your guide, then next 6-7 where you begin to experiment with pushing slightly, last 10k go for broke.

However, I also know that when I start getting all micro-managing in terms of pace, a lot of times I start to get all nervous and my race goes to shit.

Hold back and pay attention first 2/3 of the race, but that last 10k, race it. Feed off people, pass them, really race it and don't worry about the splits 'cause your going hard here. If it's your day, you'll know soon enough...

PS: I do think sub 3 is very possible if its your day and the weather cooperates.

Uptown Girl said...

I think you're in terrific shape for a strong marathon showing given what you've been reporting.

It's scary because you're entering unknown territory. However, I think you have the training to try for the magic number. I agree with Quinto's advice because even if the sub 3 isn't there you'll be right on the money for a huge PR.

Good luck! We're all cheering for you!