Friday, September 28, 2007

Thoughts of 10ks Past and Marathons Future

I am getting so excited!! Marathon season is upon us. I can't wait to see how all my Fall marathon running friends do in the coming weeks. I am racing one of the legs in the Akron marathon 5-person relay tomorrow, but I think I'm more excited to see how my friends do in the marathon! Running a shorter race accompanying a marathon has to be the best way to tune-up for a marathon--watching those people run the full should get me in the mood and psyched up for my marathon (which is just a hair over 3 weeks away now).

It's kind of funny. I am running my first 10k in about 7.5 years! I picked up running back in 2000 for a few months and ran the Cleveland 10k in a blistering 49:3x. I was so happy to average under 8:00 pace at the time and thought I was such a bad ass. I ran the same race in 1991 (and still have the threadbare t-shirt to prove it). It was a week or so after my first season of high school track. Back then I had this idea of "long distance" and "long distance" meant you ran slow. I think I ran 52:xx. I know it was 50-something. A few years later, in 1994, I spent a few months bumming in Boulder, CO being all cool and ran a few times a week after my shift at McGuckin Hardware. I even ran the day after getting my belly button pierced. I remember that was a tad uncomfortable (for the record, that piercing is long gone and there were no others as I learned my lesson after realizing it's really stupid to pay someone to hurt you very very badly--ok, my nose was pierced too, but that hurt WAY less than my belly button, is also long gone and doesn't count). Anyway, I huffed through 10k at high altitude, running the famed Bolder Boulder (also still have that holey t-shirt). I ran another blistering 54-something. And that, my friends is my 10k past.

And what does my 10k future hold? Well, I guess we'll see tomorrow.

Good luck Akron full and half-marathoners! I'll be cheering especially hard for my friend *E* who is going to run a fantastic marathon and I cannot wait to witness it!! Also a special shout-out to *G*, running her first half-marathon. Go *E* and *G*!!

6 comments:

Jim said...

I love Boulder. Was there for a week a few years back. Really noticed the altitude difference...Whooooo-Eeeeee. I'm so excited about your upcoming marathon.

DaisyDuc said...

Good luck tomorrow. I see a PR in your future!!!

You had me chuckling with your piercings! I still have not pulled the belly ring out that has been with me now for 12 years...man, the time has really blown by!

Joseph P. Wood said...

Raving? Piercings?

My tax attorney friend, did you sell out to the man? Hah!

Best of luck tomorrow. Have fun...

E-Speed said...

It's funny because I think 10K is probably one of the more fun distances to run but I have only done around 3 free standing 10ks. My first one was in Frankenmuth. I remember going out way too fast and just being happy to finish under 10 minute pace. I think I eeked out a 58. If you had told me then that I would someday run 50 miles I would have laughed in your face :)

Good luck tomorrow. You have a great leg and you are going to rock it! Hopefully I'll catch your finish before I head up Sand Run!

Quinto Sol said...

So what was it that made you change that life style?

Never would have guessed it...

Have fun in your 10K leg...

GP said...

I'm not sure about which team is yours... but the one I'm guessing is yours looks like you did a killer job in the relay! You go, girl!