Friday, October 12, 2007

Everything I Ever Needed to Learn About Running Marathons I Learned From Watching SNL Reruns

I have something important on my mind: strategy, also known in some parts as strategery. Broadly, my strategy for the marathon is confidence. That is, I want to be confident that I will achieve my goal.

Well, I guess this begs the question: what is my goal anyway?

After much wracking of the brain, I've realized that the best outcome for the marathon is to finish strong. I want to run a race where I am still trying to beat the clock over the last miles. I want to chase down my best possible time whatever it is from the start to the finish. I have an idea of what my best possible time is and I am going to go after it, but whatever the end result is if I have fought for every last possible second and done the best with what I have to work with that day I will be happy.

Ok, now it's time to explain why I can achieve this goal. Pardon me, as I Stewart Smalley my way to confidence.

1. I have worked my tail off! The one thing I cannot say at the end of the race is that I have not trained hard enough. I gave this cycle everything I've got. I pushed myself way harder than I ever thought I could and I made it to the other side and I'm feeling good. As Tinman once told me, I have worked to give myself enormous strength and endurance and I can run close to my maximum for a longer period of time than I ever could before. I am ready for the marathon!

2. I am not afraid of pain or discomfort or weird stuff happening. I know how to deal with all of that. I have run marathon pace on ouchy legs, when I want to stop and plop down under a tree and sleep for weeks, and even with a side stitch or when I was horribly dehydrated. I also know how to hang in there and get back on pace after a bad mile or two or to laugh off tripping over others or how to deal with a guy running near me wearing see-through bike shorts.

3. I can check my ego and not go out too fast. I really can, despite what my last 10k tells us. Whatever it takes, I ain't doing that.

4. I will stay positive and I will enjoy this marathon to the fullest. I will savor every moment of this race because it is my dessert for working so hard this summer. I deserve to bask in those one hundred and eightyish minutes of glory. I am not nervous, I am excited to get out there and give it what I got! It's going to be fun and one of the best experiences of my life. I can't wait!

Sure, I have doubts and fears, too. But at this stage of the game, it doesn't do any good to entertain them. It's time to focus on the joy of running and racing and everything positive I have done to get to this point. This way, at the end of the day, when the going gets tough I'll be confident enough to give just a little more cowbell. Sorry. Yes, I know that was horrible! Heh.

3 comments:

Papa Louie said...

And that is the thing to remember, " you've worked your butt off this past summer to get you where you are ready to conquer that marathon". You have a great mental plan for the run. Stick with it and believe in it.

E-Speed said...

you are going to rock it in Columbus! I can't wait to read all about it!

Joseph P. Wood said...

It's all gravy now kid. Rest up and be ready to go, which I know you will be!