Thursday, October 04, 2007

She's Not So Perfect

jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjhumnmnm kk,hnun If you're wondering what's up with that, that was me trying to clean the grape jelly off of the u and j keys. I was being all professional and eating my pbj at my desk and a big glob of jelly suddenly descended like a bird dropping onto my keyboard. Eww. Now it's sticky.

I have a very serious topic to discuss today, folks. Race pictures: why do I sometimes look so scary in them?! I swear I don't look like the child of Bulgarian weightlifters in real life (and my ponytail generally obeys the laws of gravity* and my head isn't truly that oddly shaped**). I'm hoping it's just the angle and the particular point in my stride because serious y'all, if that's what I look like I'm scared of myself! It's hard being a short muscular Slavic chick. When I was in college, when the unfortunate waif look was all the rage, my friends teased me and said I looked like a Romanian gymnast. I would scrunch my face and hmmph. But then again, I'd think, Nadia Comaneci was kind of cute, maybe it's not so bad. These days, mrp teases me and says I have stumpy legs--well, in his defense I was the first to describe them that way and he thought it was funny so he's not really making fun of me, he's making fun with me...or something. And then there's the whole problem of having visible arm muscles but no upper body strength to speak of.

It's kind of weird being an athlete and a girl/woman/chick/female whatever. Athleticism kind of contradicts all the feminine ideals--delicate, graceful, passive, pretty etc. So, I suppose in the throes of it I shouldn't look any of those things and I definitely don't in that picture! I'm sure there's even a picture of Nadia with scary hulk quads out there somewhere.

*Pardon the cheesecake. It was the only real life ponytail picture I had available.

**Well, maybe my head is oddly shaped.

6 comments:

E-Speed said...

:) I think we all have scary photos. I have one from my first river run which everyone is forbidden to talk about :)

I was just thinking looking at those photos that I would love to be so trim as you and JP and look so damn good in those vertical runner tanks! I have no arm definition. My arm flab is actually somewhat terrifying. Thank god I love my legs!

Quinto Sol said...

Being able to do two sets of 32 push-ups is pretty good... you have come a long way from doing seven push-ups...

The Salty One said...

I did 7 regular push-ups and now I do 32 girl push-ups. After a month of regular push-ups and I could barely do 10 I gave up and started dropping my knees. Who was I kidding?! heh.

Joseph P. Wood said...

A & I were having a discussion what constitutes "hotness" in women when we were watching World Champs. For me, I always liked the 400/800m girls who appear as if they could rip my head off like a Brazil nut. A, on the other hand, said they look like men.

But to me--AND I really do believe this--these standards of "dainty" beauty are meant to objectify and, in turn, subjugate. I want my daughter to engage in sport and be active, daintiness be damned.

GP said...

Race photos, I have quickly learned, were invented only for potential blackmail. No other reason. And I think the photographers' cameras are set not on auto-focus, but auto-awkward. I swear I'm not as miserable when I'm running as I look.

In fact, our photos were so grotesque (I wore some ill-advised, ill-fitting shorts) at the Winking Lizard race that my friend and I vowed never to share the photos. And I even thought about attacking the photo company's server with a virus. If I knew how to do that sort of thing...

I've been a bulky Slavic girl all my life. I'd definitely file you under the Nadia column over the Gregor the wrestler category. Besides, Nadia could have kicked anyone's butt who would question her tone. As could you.

DaisyDuc said...

I have seriously contorted faces in most race pics and I can't think of one I have liked the the photographers took!

One of the first things I noticed about you was your AWESOME toned arms!