Thursday, November 15, 2007

This Married Runner Needs a Break

So...

The wedding was amazing! Seriously, it was even better than we hoped and dreamed it would be. After everything was said and done we just stood there together in amazement of it all. *Sigh*

I will write more about it and I will post pictures when I have some. I promise! But for now, let's go back to the topic at hand. Running. I don't know if it's the weather, the change of focus in my life, or just plain malaise, but I am feeling so uninspired as a runner right now. I have no desire to run, really at all. It's cold and windy and wet and dark out there. The treadmill does nothing for me. My downtown running buds are tapering or recovering or just generally unavailable. My butt and hips hurt after hard runs so my easy days have really sucked.

Luckily, my hard days have all been pretty good actually, but I get none of the enjoyment I used to get on my easy days and I miss a nice liesurely jog during which I am not wincing every time the pace goes below 9:00/mile. The only thing that is keeping me going is club nationals. I know it's an opportunity I probably will not have again. So, I will push on and then I swear I am taking a break after that. I swear I will not run one step for at least 7 straight days after the race and then will only run when I feel like it for three straight weeks after that. A solid one month break from training is in the cards this winter.

I absolutely love running, don't get me wrong. But to really give it what I want to give it I need a break from it and to give more attention to the other things I love!

8 comments:

Mindi said...

Congratulations Mrs. mrp!!!

I am so glad your wedding was fantastic. I was looking at your wedding blog and saw how you and mrp met - what an awesome story!

Running? Hmpf. You have had a lot of more important things going on. Enjoy it as a little break. it is hard (I know, I am doing the same thing right now), but you need a little recovery (mentally and physically) before nationals. Take it, enjoy it, and get ready to get revved up next week.

Papa Louie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Papa Louie said...

Congratulations on your wedding!
Sounds like you are not only ready for a break physically but mentally. Enjoy your marriage and the calm before the storm.

And if you ever need a running buddy downtown let me know I run the Marginals during lunch time.

Sling Runner said...

Congrats on the wedding :)

I've been following your blog (as Tinman's trained runner) and was impressed with determination, dedication, and all the hard work you've put in.

Enjoy the break and please come back as a faster married runner :p

Sling Runner in Singapore
http://slingrunner.blogspot.com/

Chelle said...

Congrats! And absolutely take a break! I'm a big fan of the one marathon a year plan. I think our brains need the break every bit as much as our bodies do.

Joseph P. Wood said...

You know, Salty, I was reading something over at Letsrun how many of the Eastern African runners take 2 month breaks. I know Ababadajev said the Russians believe in 3 months downtime. The point is the body works in cycles and needs to recover.

It seems, from your post, that your body's saying, hey, hold on, I need a break. And it makes sense: you worked really, really, really hard to get ready for Columbus and now it's time to let yourself recover.

In other words, don't be me (but you won't because you have to brain cells to rub together).

I know the XC Nats come once in awhile, but maybe shut it down and scratch the race?? Maybe not, but just thought I'd throw it out there.

Most importantly: congratulations! Wedding's are quite the event...

DaisyDuc said...

CONGRATULATIONS MRS!

I have been feeling the same way and I really think so much of it is the weather and the dark.

Enjoy some much needed R&R after Nats with the new hubby!

AddictedToEndorphins said...

Congratulations on your wedding! I'm glad that your wedding day was magical.

My un-expert opinion is to take a break if your feeling like that! Enjoy the new married life!

:o)