Friday, December 21, 2007

Good Idea

First of all, I need to say how much I love Joseph's idea for an all blog team at next year's xc club nationals. Every team this year was a regional grouping as far as I can tell. But to group a team based on something else is kind of cool.

Also, it would be a great way for people who don't have a rich local running scene to have the opportunity to do something of that caliber. Cleveland doesn't have much, but at least we have Team Good River (the team I run with) and a myriad of other formally and loosley based running groups. It's certainly not a perfect competitive running environment (e.g. the weather, the relatively high placement on the list of fattest cities, the relatively newness of any organized competive running group) but it's something! An internet based team would be no less established than any of the regional teams formed for the sole purpose of the race. If anything it would be more of a real team than a collection of a state's fastest runners plucked off of other teams (a now former member of my team, who I have never met and could be the world's nicest person for all I know, ditched our team at the last minute to run for the team that ultimately won the women's open race--sure, that team was better than our team, but after sucking the resources out of TGR for a year or so just to ditch the team when it was counting on her at the last minute seems awfully selfish and pretty lame).

Plus, wouldn't it be great to have all these mystery people in one place mixin' and minglin' and it would even probably be in slightly frosty air since it's in December! It would be like a star trek convention only with gps watches, expensive trainers, and trim physiques rather than cheesy spandex onesies, klingon masks, and scary dorks! Or maybe we're all scary dorks too? Just me? Ok, then.

Moving on. I am experiencing the weird phenomenon of suddenly being able to run "fast" all the time. Sure, I'm only running 4-5 miles at a pop, but still. I trotted two miles at my old goal marathon pace in the middle of my last run. Sub 8's are like nothing the past few days. On Monday I ran 8:15's on the treadmill alternating .25 miles at level 0 and level 3 incline (whatever that means) and felt like it was a jog when just a couple of weeks ago that hurt! Oh, and stuff doesn't hurt anymore either which is a big bonus of my downtime. I had mild to moderate plantar's fasciitis in my left foot for an entire year so that aches a bit here and there, but it's a healing ache for once! My butt doesn't kill me sitting in the car for more than 10 minutes anymore, my lower back quit screaming at me, and my hamstrings are feeling much looser. And I can take days off and not feel the least bit guilty about it. I don't have to worry about the 5 lbs I gained making me slow. I don't feel compelled to run outside everyday in the dreary nasty gross stuff to acclimatize so I stay in on the treadmill with my ipod blaring tunes in my ears and answering jeopardy questions I read on closed captions on the gym tv's. Ahh. It's nice being a recreational runner!

I imagine once racing season starts back up I'll feel compelled to take it up a notch and get a little more structured and disciplined, but I'm digging this just running whatever I feel like running when I want to run stuff for a change!

9 comments:

GP said...

They always say you'll excel at activities you enjoy. I'm glad it sounds like your body is healing and your enthusiasm for rec. running is growing. I'm sure the blog-o-trekkie running convention would hate to lose you!

Joseph P. Wood said...

Seriously, if we could generate some interest, I'd be real game. The problem is that it would require both genders corralling at least six people to make a team. I don't really care how I place, but it would be fun to get in the muck so to speak...

The Salty One said...

Actually, Joseph, it's a little better than that:you just need 5 for a team! Also, a team can run open runners who can't score as a team, but can still run the race (e.g. the women's open race winner).Often a team can send a men's team, but only have a couple of women so they run as individuals while the men run as a team. No biggee, either way.

joe positive said...

I'm totally serious about xc nationals. After reading Salty's and Bridget's accounts I decided it sounded like a lot of fun, and I mourned the fact that we don't have any interest in adult xc around here. When exactly is it? I have vague ideas of running CIM next year, so I want to see if I can work this in too.

Joseph P. Wood said...

JoeP,

I think it is the first weekend in December--that's right, conflicting with CIM pretty much. That said--and I say this utmost selfishly--you could always use Nats as speedwork and do a good marathon in January, such as Houston which gets terrificly fast times...

I'm dead serious too: as long as I stay healthy, knock on wood, I intend it.

Mindi said...

Salty, I am so glad you ar busting out some quick miles. It sounds like you are on the road to recovery!

XC Nats is an awesome idea for this group. I wish I wasn't so damn slow. But again, I volunteer to be a groupie. :)

Oh yes, and I also loved the comparision to a trekkie convention. Yes, we are all geeks. But the cool thing is that we are very cool in our own minds (and to each other). Yep, we are just like them, huh?

Adeel said...

I'm definitely in if you'll take me. I'm also not American.

The Salty One said...

Adeel, you just have to be a member of the USATF. You can always use one of our addresses if you need :)

Here are the requirements for individuals and teams: http://www.usatf.org/events/2007/USATFClubXCChampionships/entry/

Mindi--I ran a 3:25 marathon 14 months before club nats. You just ran a 3:27, so you should be ready to roll in 14 months too! Don't underestimate yourself!

Joe P. and Joseph P.W.--training for a road marathon and training for your fastest short xc race are pretty much mutually exclusive. I definitely wouldn't recommend running a super sloppy hard race a month before a marathon (I would be petrified of hurting everything!) and I also wouldn't expect to kill it out there a month after a marathon either. That's not to say you couldn't do well, I just don't think you'd perform at your best is all.

chelle said...

Spokane is a bit of a hike for us east coasters, but then, I'll be living in Missouri by then, so I'll be halfway there!

- chelle