Saturday, December 01, 2007

Life's Little Surprises

I swear mrp and I aren't super runner dorks. The running photo started because I couldn't wear my heels on the soft ground so I took them off and went barefoot. The ground was SO cold on my tootsies so I said let's run! And off we went. Heh. It was definitely fun! Here's a more traditional photo so you can see we really are normal.

In other news, out of the blah came a 40 second pr in the 5k today! I showed up with a cold and ran an 18:49 on a sunny 25 degree morning. I am extra happy that not only did I run pretty fast but I felt amazing out there! I realy didn't hurt much at all. I went out what felt easy in 6:04, then the next mile was 6:14, and then I knew I could make sub 19 if I hauled ass, so I hauled some ass and ran a 5:50 something last mile!! What's even cooler is that I have a group of downtown running buddies and all of us ran pr's! I am especially proud of E who ran a workout with me on Wednesday. I knew during that workout that she could easily break 20 minutes in a 5k. I talked her into racing with me just 2 weeks after her 50 mile pr performance at JFK and she ended up running a 19:22! Also a 40 second pr. I was talking to my friend *T* after the race and all of a sudden we heard this squealing and I turned and it was E freaking out about her time. So cute!

Anyway, Saturday's supposed to be a mudfest. I am actually looking pretty forward to it. I hope to be one of the top 5 performers for my team and otherwise just go there and bask in the excitement of it all! If someone would have told me three years ago when I could barely run 3 miles in 30 minutes that I'd be sitting here now anticipating racing club nationals after running an 18:49 5k I would have laughed so hard I'd pee my pants! Hey, actually the same thing might have happened if you told me this last week. You gotta love this sport!

11 comments:

Papa Louie said...

Congratulations on your 5K PR! 40 seconds is a big accomplishment. Way to run with the girls and setting PR's.

Joseph P. Wood said...

Well, that went well...so much as for your prediction you were out of shape...let's see how the Nats treat you. That should be exciting!

Mindi said...

YOU ROCK!! Awesome job! LOL. I bet that will get the fire back into your heart pretty quickly! :)

I love the pic of the big smooch mrp is planting on you. But no need to apologize for the run pic - it really is an instant classic.

I hope you smile all weekend over that big fat, untrained-for PR!!!

Adeel Ahmad said...

Congratulations on the PB, which must be even sweeter because it was unexpected. You're very fit even right now, and I think you're going to bring that time closer to 18 minutes in 2008.

mainers said...

great race!! Have fun in the nationals next week. i ran the nationals in England one year and it was my most enjoyable race ever, the occasion, the crowds, everything. And do I miss cross country!

Meghan said...

Dude, the blah is apparently gone!Congrats on getting under 19 and a hearty PR! That'll motivate the heck outta you!

E-Speed said...

You did awesome out there! Thanks again for getting my ultra butt to get out and do a 5k. I'm so glad I did!

Can't wait to see how you do next week!

DaisyDuc said...

Girl, what a fantastic race you ran! Dang that third mile had to be flying!!!

Hopefully you can ride this week's PR into another fine race next week!!!

mainers said...

Tim showed me some pictures of the course you will be running next week. get ready for some SERIOUS mud!! great fun!

Tom said...

Sweet PR!! 40 seconds is just amazing.

Fantastic run.

GP said...

Great run and great to hear you're back. It's also fun to hear about your leaps of improvement -- 3 miles in 30 minutes? Pshaw! You go girl.