Friday, January 04, 2008

Just Being is Somethingness

So, I have a problem. You see I have a hard time just being. I have this insatiable need to be working toward some concrete goal. To put it simply: I tend to be so focused on the future, I have problems enjoying the present. I suppose focusing on the future is better than dwelling on the past, but it's a problem nonetheless because sometimes life requires a rest stop.

That is where life has taken me now. In my non-running life I just got married and things couldn't be better. It's time to enjoy the here and now and savor the mrp and saltiness of it all. There are no houses to find or move into and there is no wedding to plan. It's just us. Finally! But it's so so so hard for me to savor when my impulse is to look for something new to plan! I am trying so hard to just be and enjoy that existence. I struggle, but I'm actually doing pretty well!

In my running life, my body and mind currently require a break from formal training. Besides my legs and their intermittent soreness from the past couple of years of constant training, my endocrine and immune systems need time to rest and recharge. Also, over the last few months of 2007 I was dreading running way too often to be healthy. I loved it in the macro-sense, but it was starting to be a drag to drop the rest of my life to get a workout in or to have to run when my legs felt like crap or I was very tired. I spent so many hours of my life sucking it up through minor discomfort that I need some time to relax and feel good and value confort over discomfort for a little bit. I am really not a huge wuss, but day in and day out of mild pain, discomfort, and deprivation can wear a girl down and shockingly make running not fun!

So yes, besides giving my body a much needed break early 2008 is about having fun with running and just being. This means no schedules (even though I had a minor relapse and swore I was getting back on a schedule last week). I am to run whatever I feel like running when I feel like running indefinitely. I am not planning anything with running right now. I am enjoying running for running's sake. As hard as that is for me, I know it's what I need to do for now.

6 comments:

DaisyDuc said...

Well after reading you top 10, you more than deserve that. Yet I am certain I will still see you out at the local races kicking some bootay!

joe positive said...

I know what you mean about being so focussed on future goals that it's tough just enjoying what happens to be going on Right Now.

FWIW, I think you've made the right decision about running for now. In fact, you seem to make good decisions a lot of the time. I think I want to be like you when I grow up :-)

Joseph P. Wood said...

I agree w/ JoP--on both accounts. But this the time to do some other stuff--write, cook, play board games, garden some more. That's all part of a well-lived life, I do believe somehow whose alias rhymes with Schmalty once recommended.

I hear you though. You want to get out, keep yourself busy. I get that, no doubt. But really, down time's really important, otherwise you spend your time like I did from August to November...

Papa Louie said...

Yep, running should not be treated as a dull, boring, demanding job, but something we love to do. Remember to keep running simple and enjoy every opportunity you have to just get out and run for the fun of it.

Mindi said...

Heh. It is perfectly fine to focus on other things in life while running takes a break. In fact, I sincerely think it is a good thing to change things up from time to time. It keeps life interesting and us as people interested. So "plan" to chill for a while. Do you think you could set that up on an excel spreadsheet? :) That is what I undoubtedly would do!

Miss Aventurous said...

Hey, read the book I gave you! Did you read it when Aunt M gave it to you? Anyway, it's all about this. Or maybe this is all about that. I don't know, whatever.