Monday, January 07, 2008

The Word "Running" Appeared Only Once in This Post, but Then I Went Ahead and Ruined It

On Friday afternoon, I made the bold decision to get up off my duff and fill up my water glass over at the ubiquitous departmental water cooler. While there, a coworker chit-chatted with me and feeling all fuzzy from social interaction after several hours with no company other than this computer I made my way back to this here office. As I sat back down, I noticed a little black triangle sitting patiently on my phone. Apparently, in the two minutes I was away someone had called and left a message. I listened to it, and instead of the click of a hang-up, my boss nagging me about some project or another, or a check-in from mrp it was of all people one of my professors from law school.

I graduated from law school back in 2004, and since then I've spoken with this professor a handful of times but mostly concentrated in the 12 months subsequent to graduation. So, the point is that this was quite a surprise. He said he wanted to talk to me about a job possibility. Intriguing!

Before I had time to think too much about it and get nervous I called him back. He told me he had been contacted by a state government official asking if he would recommend anyone for a position he was looking to fill. My professor asked me if I'd be interested in the job. I don't want to reveal too many details because it is very premature and I am weirdly paranoid that someone associated with the position would discover this post and then I'd be out of the running. Anyway, the job entails representing a state in matters before the the highest court in the land. Basically, an utterly incredibly absolutely amazing opportunity that I would be a total moron to say no to! Just the fact that my professor thought of me after all these years is amazing in and of itself. He is recommending more than one person, but still.

I didn't realize how excited I was about it until I hung up the phone and discovered I was printing about 100 pages of case law and articles pertaining to the job. All weekend I couldn't wait to have a spare hour to read! It's been a long time since I've been this interested and it has made me realize that I am not so sure my current job is for me. Since I'm no longer consumed by wedding planning and running I have found myself less and less satisfied with showing up and white-knuckling it through excruciatingly boring pointless meetings, mindless research, all for the sake of enriching shareholders and only very occasionally for my own amusement.

I have had amazing opportunities here for a lawyer of my experience level. I've already argued a case in court (and won! I never followed up to tell you that, but now you know). I am now working on a case before a state Supreme Court. I also was able to single-handedly write a friend of the court brief before the US Supreme Court on the clock. Basically, the excitement ends there, but those things are pretty damned exciting, nonetheless! The cool thing is, the potential job is stuff like this all the time, complete with a purpose beyond the corporate bottom line.

Anyway, I love when life just throws stuff at you. Our lives are a part of nature and no matter how hard we try to tame them we are to a large extent at their will. Scheduling, planning, plotting, timelining, deadlining, etc. are to some extent no better than umbrellas in a hurricane. Even the worst times offer opportunities and I believe success comes from seizing those. Not that this is a bad time for me at all--it's actually a great time in Saltyland--but, the point is that sometimes the best opportunities are completely unexpected.

***(Taking a play from Joseph's playbook)

Here's what I did last week:

Monday: elliptical for 45 minutes maintaining a 150 bpm heartrate. Why 150? It was the default for that particular workout on the machine.

Tuesday: Besides the fact that the streets and trails were beseiged by a monster snow, my daylight hours were booked between sleeping in and holiday obligations so I managed to merely do 2 sets each of: abs, lunges, push-ups, and stair toe-raises followed by a late night session of shoveling the driveway with mrp.

We: 6 miles at 7:33 pace on the mill

Th: 6 miles including some fun with the incline button on the treadmill at 7:57 pace

Fr: 5 miles in 7:44 pace on the mill hurriedly in between meetings.

Sa: More abs, lunges, push-ups, and toe-raises but no running.

Su: 7 miles very hilly and very early before an appointment at 8:02 pace (out in 8:19 pace and back in 7:46 pace because I was so sleepy on the way out!)

That's a whopping 24 miles last week!

9 comments:

Quinto Sol said...

May 'they' be wise and hire you.

Mindi said...

Holy crap that is AWESOME!! Details, please!!!

Wow. How exciting.

Joseph P. Wood said...

Ditto Mindy!!! That's some terrific news, non-running to boot: see, life itself is *giving* you balance: that's what makes it so rewarding...

Best of luck with these wonderful developments.

DaisyDuc said...

You must have made quite a nice impression on the professor. Hope you get what you want!

Joseph P. Wood said...

Did I actually write Mindy...jesus Christ. I mean Salty.

Yours in goofballness,

Tusca

Adeel said...

Congratulations, that's great to hear, but what state would you be representing? You don't want it to be a loser state like Wyoming or Rhode Island.

"Rhode Island? They never win."

The Salty One said...

Thanks everybody!

Adeel, it's my home state.

Mindi and Joseph, sorry to be cryptic, but paranoia reigns.
I'll provide more details if this progresses into something more concrete.

Mindi said...

Stupid running2win! :) Seriously though, I look forward to hearing about it when you have time and the comfort level.

I am so excited for you. You rawk.

Kate said...

Awesome! Sounds like a fantastic opportunity.