Tuesday, February 26, 2008

And That's What It's All About

Man. I'm sick of snow. Actually, when mrp and I left the house this morning it was so unbelievably beautiful in our valley. The apple trees and everything were covered in snow and all the sounds were muffled by it except the bird songs. I wish I could have gone running right then and let the snow cover me and listened to it crunching under my feet as I wound my way along the river. But no. Off to work we went. And off to sleep I went since mrp was driving. My morning snooze is one of my guilty pleasures.


At least it's warmish out. Thirties feels balmy these days. I'll take it. I might randomly race a 15k on Sunday so I should do a harder run tomorrow. I was thinking about taking today off, but my schedule might not permit a run later in the week because [insert drumroll]

I have an interview to go to on Thursday! Woohoo! I guess the budget permitted a hire afterall. I got the call on Friday afternoon and now I'm headed south a hundred miles to speak to government officials about constitutional law and anything else they want to talk about. I suspect they'll want to discuss this whole tax thing I'm doing--like how the heck did I get into tax if I suck at it and really want to practice constitutional law. Valid question. And I'll be practicing my answer on the two hour drive to the interview, don't you worry.

Even though I have some practicality concerns about the job, I am excited to pursuit it. If nothing else it will reaffirm my decision to stay at my current job and make me a little happier about it. It might help resolve the war between practicality and ambition that's always waging in my head. Or maybe it will insight further violence. At a minimum it's switching things up and making life interesting.

****

In other news, Monica tagged me in a comment. I've never been tagged before. How exciting! It's like a chain comment. I remember when I was about 8 or so and getting into letter writing. I'd write letters to my friends down the street and jump on any chance for a pen pal and then one day someone sent me a chain letter and the whole concept of connectivity just thrilled me. So cool. Luckily, I didn't have the same feelings about Amway. Anyway, I'm supposed to tell you some random stuff about me. So here goes:


1. When I was 16 I had to get a job. I couldn't drive yet because I failed the maneuverability part of the driving test so I had to find something local. As luck would have it I lived a mile away from United Skates of America. Yes, my first job was dressing up as the Skateasaurus and performing the hokey-pokey on roller blades as little kids tried to rip the head off of my costume.


2. I have this weird impulse to lead people in endeavors that I really couldn't care less about. When I was really young I'd organize all my littler cousins into paraders and dress them up in paper hats and they'd march around my grandparents' yard. When I was in high school I decided that the current regime of student council couldn't plan a dance for sh*t so I told them so during a class meeting and proceeded to oust the cool kids from their reign of tyranny by winning the student council president seat during my senior year. I led my department at work in a fundraising campaign for Juvenile Diabetes research (not that I don't care about it, but I don't even know anyone who has it!)


3. I am a cryer. Once the gates open, here comes the flood. It can be really embarrassing. I've got a better handle on it than I did when I was younger, but I still cry really easily.


4. I have 2 cats. Fortunato, a 10 year old all black cuddly male and Astrid, the fattest hairiest 8 year old diluted calico you've ever seen. I've had 4 cats in my adult lifetime. Fonzarelli, Fort's black cat brother, died in a tragic car accident after prying the screen out of my apartment window and escaping down the fire escape. Annabelle, another all black kittie I rescued off the mean streets of Cleveland, died a year and a half later after battling a rare form of vein cancer.


5. Mrp and I briefly dated when we were in high school. We went to different schools but he was a friend of my cousin. I met him at an Indians game when I was 15. We hung out a couple of times and talked on the phone but he was painfully shy. I dumped him on my 16th birthday so I could date a more pushy guy who turned out to be a crazy stalker years later! I liked mrp though, so I fixed him up with 2 of my friends and he still hasn't forgiven me for one of them. And incidentally, after high school we totally forgot about each other until we met in the fitness center at our workplace when I was 29 and he was 31 and it took me three months before I realized who he was! But he knew all along!


6. I majored in philosophy and minored in math in college. But I went to 4 colleges and had previously majored in biology, elementary education, and Spanish before finally settling on something and graduating! I graduated from college when I was 26. I went to law school and got really into it. I was super nerd and graduated near the top of my class and published two articles. I took it one step further and received a graduate law degree from one of the best schools in the country. I went from a failed college drop-out to a lawyer with two degrees. When I was 21 I never would have guessed that would happen!


7. I used to be really cool (well, at least I thought so). I wore old school clothes I found in thrift stores (my favorite was a baby blue t-shirt with a unicorn air brushed on it with my pink pumas), had a collection of vinyl records (mostly indie and techno), dated artists and dj's (assholes), lived in NYC, etc. Now I live 5 miles from where I grew up and am married to a guy I knew in high school, not to mention I rarely stay up past 10:00 and can barely handle one glass of wine! Life is full of surprises and that's what I love about it!


So, Adeel, Tuscaloosarunner, Joe Postive, Miss Adventurous, GP, Uptown Girl, and Jim, it's your turn to tell us 7 secrets about yourselves.

5 comments:

TrainingtoTri said...

thanks for playing along! I too am a cryer! It takes a lot to get me there, but when I am upset about anything I totally suck b/c I can't get my point across from all the blubbering.

Awesome first job! love the pic and that's so cool to know you went from a college dropout to super lawyer! Nice!

Audrey said...

i'm impressed by your super-nerdness. i'm a 2L and could use some more nerdiness!! cute story about you and your husband!! good luck w/ your interview!

-Audrey-

Mindi said...

Congratulations on the interview and good luck! My guess is that it will be a lot of fun to go check it out. Who knows, maybe it will be perfect.

I loved reading your post - fun facts (hahaha skatesaurus)....I used to do the thrift shop vintage clothes too. LOL. Very cool. And now I am a complete nerd too. But I did marry a lead guitar player of a rock band, so that must have some redeeming value, right? :)

I have been very busy lately and slacking in my blog reading. I have missed hearing the Salty adventures! ;)

Meghan said...

Good luck on the interview, Salty!

Also, one might argue that you're cooler now than you were before. Then, you followed the trends; now, you forge your own path. (Or, is that just the philosophy I use to justify getting in bed with a book and tea at 9 pm while still in my 20s? Maybe.)

Thanks for sharing your secrets!
Meghan

Jim said...

Thanks (A-HEM) for tagging me Salty. As instructed, I've posted 7 little-know facts about me in my blog. They appear in the right-hand menu. I'll get busy this weekend tagging seven folks. I just need to find three new blogs to read on a regular basis. Any commenters here want to make a pitch for why I should read YOUR blog regularly?