Friday, February 29, 2008

Virtue

I spent 5 hours driving yesterday. Not fun the day after a hard run. I had to stop several times just to relieve the pain in my hips and butt each way. I couldn't wait to get home and go for a really easy run just to get some blood to my tight little legs. Poor guys.

But their sacrifice was worth it. I had a great interview. I know that doesn't necessarily mean anything, but it was fun. I haven't interviewed in 4 years! I desperately needed to brush the dust off my skills if nothing else. They seemed very interested in me and threw the possibility of staying in Cleveland out there, although I can't tell you how many times they warned me about the pay. The best thing would be to get an offer that allows me to stay in Cleveland for a salary that is just enough to allow me to keep plugging away at my student loans and that provides me just enough extra to contribute to the household. I'm in the middle of Walter Isaacson's biography of Ben Franklin so I might be overestimating the value of frugality right now, but really I don't need tons of money. I rather have a job that I'm passionate about than one that bores me to tears most days and pays a lot (well, relative to a government job, I make considerably less than a lawyer in a top firm but I don't care because I don't have to bill hours and can run on my lunch hour and have a life outside of my job). But really, mrp and I need to crunch the numbers and flesh out our financial goals more concretely. Luckily this is a government job and we should have some time before we'd have to make a decision (of course only if we need to make one).

I arrived back home around 3:00, changed from my lawyer uniform (Ann Taylor black triacetate skirt suit) into my running clothes and climbed into bed. Fortunato joined me and before I knew it the alarm I set for 4:00 was blaring Enrique Ilgesias at us, but I managed to bend over to hit the snooze with the cat still attached to my shoulder twice before finally getting up. It was one of those naps that leaves you feeling like a boulder--cold, dry, and heavy. I drank about 5 glasses of water, took care of some crap for my current job and finally made it out the door to the park around 5:00. I didn't even bother to bring my watch. Between yesterday's workout, the general feeling of potential over-doing it I've been feeling since last week, and pretty much not moving for 7 hours I wasn't expecting much from the run. I hit the snow-covered bike path and it was one of those perfectly clear sunny, snowy, crispy winter afternooons. I didn't push the pace at all and just trotted along letting the run organically end a smidge after 5 miles.

I am supposed to be doing 1 hour easy runs, but to heck with that. I feel pretty beat and I agreed to help mrp's friend and one of my teammates to pace a 30k. I'm running the first 15k with her and mrp's running the second. She wants to start at 6:30 pace. Hopefully I can keep up! So, lopping a couple of miles off was a no brainer. But even still, today my legs are feeling pretty crappy. My plantar's has flared up in my left foot, my hamstrings, hips and butt are sore and both big toes are sore. I don't think I feel all that much worse now than at any point over the last year or so, but now that I don't have a one-track mind forcing me out there NO MATTER WHAT, I think I'm just noticing them now when I didn't before. I keep reminding myself that this is a regeneration period for me. If I can get faster during this time, great, but the point is to build back up, not break back down. So, I might have to modify the schedule I'm on. I'll give it a couple of days and let you know how it goes.

9 comments:

E-Speed said...

glad the interview went well!

Missed you today!

DaisyDuc said...

I don 't know why I find the idea of sleeping in my running clothes so random, but I do!

Best of luck figuring out the job front!

kenyarunb said...

Hey Salty! I love reading your blog :)

I think it's awesome that you are listening to your body during this time of regeneration; sometimes it's hard to trust our legs over our hearts and minds.

You WILL get faster as a result. After my last half, I looked at H. - completely baffled - because I couldn't understand how I could run so well off of a terrible winter training period with very few workouts and no high mileage weeks. He was baffled that I was baffled!

He reminded me that our periods of rest allow us to rebuild and get faster; we reap the benefits from the tears, miles, and workouts run months before.

I cannot wait to watch you hit the roads like a bolt of lightning this summer!!!

Bridget

Adeel said...

What does this have to do with virtue (arete)?

Mindi said...

I'm so glad to hear it went well! And to get a chance to do it in Cleveland is AWESOME! I understand the money woes, but I agree that you'd rather do what you are happy with. It was an adjustment when I became a stay-at-home mom and suddenly we only had one income, but you'd be surprised how easy it is to cut back on the extra fluff. Heh. And then if you ever do get a different job for more money, you'll suddenly feel like Bill Gates. :)

I have to say I don't enjoy the comments about the law firm lawyers...(yes, I live in denial) :) But I guess I will have to live with that.....

Rest that bod up, you have much ahead of you.

Jim said...

Congrats on the great interview. G'luck with the outcome.

Well, I've fulfilled my tag duties that you so graciously bestowed upon me: I've posted 7 little known facts about me and added some new links.

I draw the line at sacrificing the chicken, though.

Joseph P. Wood said...

When would you hear about the job if you got it? Fingers crossed...

And I agree w/ Daisy: sleeping in running clothes? Like spandex tights, running gloves, etc.

Meghan said...

Salts-

It's okay to be fatigued and sore, so long as you allow ample recovery afterwards. We all know the breakdown/rebuild stronger cycle of out athletic endeavorings. Alas, it's good to listen to your body, girlie!

Congrats on a solid interview and I hope things work out just the way you want them to.

Miss Adventurous said...

Hmm...workin' for the man...I hope the man knows you're worth it!

Re Fort: I am a jealous auntie. I want to sleep with Fort on a gigantically tall bed!