Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Baby's Being Selfish and Won't Let Me

April 15, 2008

Dear Invited Runner:

In recognition of your running talent and hard work, the Awesome Local Marathon is pleased to extend to you a special invitation to run our race. Recognized as one of the “50 Great U.S. Marathons” and annually praised by our runners for flawless organization and execution and the greatest treatment of our runners, the Awesome Local Marathon will be held this year on September x, 2008. We recognize your talents as a runner and would very much like to have you compete in our marathon as an Invited Runner (“IR”).

If you accept our offer and compete in the 2008 Awesome Local Marathon, we will provide you with:

· a complementary, free entry to the marathon;
· a coupon redeemable for a free pair of Brooks running shoes, your choice of Adrenaline,Addiction, Defyance or Axiom (to qualify for the free Brooks shoes you must complete the
full marathon);
· an invitation to (and an introduction at) our Mayor’s Reception party on Friday night of our race weekend;
· a special "IR" bib number and a front position at the starting line;
· a private pre-race "IR" tent and portable restroom separately located on west side of the starting line;
· personal gear bag handling from the start to the finish; and
· special and private "IR" area at the finish line equipped with fluids, food, gear bag delivery, and massage therapists.

We will accept only the first 15 men and 15 women who respond to this special, limited invitation. We have a deadline date for responding of July 31, 2008. We have taken care in directing this letter only to Invited Runners we know will be very competitive in our marathon and one of you is almost certain to win the race. You should finish very well in our marathon if you can equal (or exceed!) your top marathon performance of 2007. In recognition of our offer to you, we ask for your best race day effort to post a great time in our marathon. After you accept our offer, if you are subsequently unable to compete, we request that you inform us as soon as possible. Finally, after our race, we ask you to actively spread the word
about your experience of running the Awesome Local Marathon.

If you would like to accept this offer or simply learn more about our race, please contact me as soon as possible for additional details.

We think that this is a very cool opportunity. Please don’t pass this up!

Thanks,

Mr. Executive Race Director

17 comments:

The Salty One said...

I just wanted to add a post-script. Wow! I am so flattered! Really!! I never thought that day would come. I'm so not worthy!! And it really is an awesome marathon and my friend entered the program last year and really liked it. Waaaa! But really, I'm kind of glad I can't do it ;)

joe positive said...

ooh, ooh, ooh - how cool! Not to hijack your post, but last year I got a letter worded almost exactly like that (hmmm...) and you betcha, it was flattering as all get-out.

Unlike you, I didn't have an impending baby as a reason not to accept :-)

tonya said...

HOLY. I can only wish.

Mindi said...

Isn't life just ironic?! The good news is that you didn't get the letter 6 weeks ago and decide to put the hybrid project on hold! :)

You rock, Salty. Something to be very proud of indeed. Even if you don't run it you can save the letter and show it to Cleveland one day. :)

Adeel said...

That's one more piece of good news to congratulate you on. Seriously, do you want to run a marathon or do you want to eat an entire bag of Oreos with hot salsa?

The Salty One said...

Adeel! That sounds so foul! Why did you do this to me!! Haha. I do have a weird thing for tapioca though.

Joe--I figured you knew the marathon I was talking about ;)

Tonya--You'll get one next year!

Mindi--Oh great! Now you're in on it too. Heh. It would have been tempting but I have to say the opportunity to produce a hybrid, even one named Cleveland, kicks all other opportunities' asses!! And thanks, as always!

Adeel said...

Come on, I'm going to take some time to get fat and not run for a while starting on Monday afternoon, and I'm not even pregnant. You should be happy.

TrainingtoTri said...

Wow, how neat!

E-Speed said...

Might as well let the cat out of the bag that I will be pacing at an awesome local marathon in Sept. Not quite as cool but I do believe I will snag a pair of those free shoes and get CTC beast points in the process. (and still leaves me plenty of time to focus on a fall marathon in November!)

Joseph P. Wood said...

Salty...well, that's a sweet offer. Would they be willing to put off the entry for a year or so??

Papa Louie said...

Glad to hear you are happy with your decision. I'm sure you'll have more opportunities later.

GP said...

Is there some sort of check-in process through which they recognize awesomest runners for the race? It would just be fun for you to show up on race day. I imagine you might be showing a little by then ;-)

Congrats on that great acknowledgment, nevertheless. See, we try to tell you all the time in the blogosphere that you're kickin' butt and taking names. I'm glad some organized body took it upon themselves to say, "Dear Salty: You rock, come run."

On a separate note: I'd love to check out N. Chagrin (I'm counting down the days until the move)! At this point I think I might keep up with you and then tell everyone I can keep pace with an elite.

I'll just keep out the part about lil' Mrpalty Hybrid Cleveland Grover Jones III.

Many congrats!

Mindi said...

OK - so I have to say I am falling off my chair. I hate to say it, but no matter what salty/mrp attempt to christen their hybrid child, s/he is always destined to have the Cleveland moniker thans to the fab internet! :)

Mindi said...

That was "thanks to the fab Internet" if you cannot understand my time to go to bed lingo... It is 10:00 pm afterall you know!

Joseph P. Wood said...

Mrpalty Hybrid Cleveland Grover Jones III.

I just spit coffee out my nose. This is my new favorite name; if Salty doesn't use it, I will.

The Salty One said...

Can I take all that stuff I said about not liking peanut back? Peanut's sounding really good right about now!

Meghan said...

Peanut! So cute.

Oh this is a very cool letter to receive Ms. Speedy! I wish you could take them up on their offer! Perhaps you can defer?

Hope all is well in the land of morning sickness. ;)

Meghan