Monday, May 19, 2008

Birthdays and Rainy Marathons

My birthday was on Sunday. To celebrate the occasion I picked up my mom at 7:00 AM and we drove 45 minutes to stand in the cool rain and cheer on marathoners and half-marathoners at the Rite Aid Cleveland Marathon. I knew of just a few people running, but I still wanted to go check things out. I wanted to see who showed up as well as cheer on the few I knew would be there. I was disappointed that very few of our areas best runners showed up. I saw one former teammate running the half and that's about it. I did get to cheer on my running buddy Daisy, so at least that was nice. She looked good and was right where she should be at 11 miles. I had every intention of watching the runners go by at 11 miles and then heading over to around mile 24 to watch the end of the marathon, but since after standing in that cold rain for an hour my pregnant bladder had to pee and peanut started to get hungry. The only person I'd really miss seeing was Daisy and I knew she'd understand and it just wasn't worth waiting another hour or so. So my mom and I continued to cheer until the 5 hour pace group went by and then we headed off for brunch and the rest of our day.

And speaking of the marathon, someone e-mailed Jack Staph, the race director, my first post about the Cleveland Marathon and he was so kind to get in touch via e-mail. We're going to talk sometime this week. I really look forward to it and I hope to be able to join a committee or do something to help make the Cleveland Marathon into the race it could be. I can't wait!

In other news, I'm huge. I'm only 3 months pregnant, but look at me on Saturday night after mrp took me to a wonderful dinner. Craziness. I am seriously scared of what I'll look like in 5-6 months!

11 comments:

Viper said...

Happy birthday and thanks for cheering us on in the rain. That's awesome that Mr. Staph got in touch with you. Show him what's what.

GP said...

How cute are you? My friend (who delivered about three hours ago!) kept a baby blog for her pregnancy and took the side-shot photos once a month to track her growth. It's so amazing. Her baby, too, went by the name 'Peanut.'

And happy belated birthday!

While I didn't get to see you at the race, thanks on behalf of everyone who did hear and see you. We need happy, cheerful people encouraging us to just keep chugging along. But you know that! I'm sure you made so many peoples days.

I hope that you can make your mark on the Cleveland Marathon. I don't really know what's what when it comes to races, but if there's ever any way that I can help, let me know. I'm all about rising up and gathering troops!

I'll be in touch re: a recovery run!

Quinto Sol said...

Happy, happy belated birthday!

Papa Louie said...

good luck with meeting the race director.

Joseph P. Wood said...

I actually think you don't look that big at all for three months--don't get me wrong, there's baby belly, but not so bad.

Funny thing about the internet: how things can be passed onto race directors. It's cool though you're going to be joining the committee...

allanjel said...

So, this is all a little late...

1st - Happy Birthday and thanks for coming down to cheer the runners...the 2nd 1/2 of the mary was very quite and congrats on your "peanut."

I have been reading your posts on what makes a good marathon and to improve Cleveland...

Maybe finishing in the Browns stadium or Progressive field & offer a relay. Also, after running the full I would rather run the first half two times than go out east and up Marginal...YUCK.

Also, more gels/power gels would help. It kind of stinks carrying fuel for 26.2 miles and 2 gels ain't gonna get it done.

Thanks for getting involved to make it a better race.

E-Speed said...

Happy belated birthday girl! I think you look so cute! Sorry I didn't get to bag with you longer out there!

CJ said...

That is a cute picture, but it definitely makes you look more pregnant than you do in person!

I'll echo everyone on the happy birthday, thanks for coming out on Sunday, and good luck with the race director!

Chelle said...

Happy birthday! And you DO look big for only 3 months. I guess I'm used to all my tall friends who carry their little baby bumps as if they've just had a big meal. Just be careful when you're out there running...I think the biggest thing you probably have to worry about safety-wise is not taking a tumble because your sense of body balance is so skewed.

Meghan said...

Happy birthday, Salty! You are darling, by the way. You must be short(er) and tinsy, so it all shows on you. Echoing Chelle, be careful but have fun running!

Meghan

kenyarunb said...

Happy Birthday! You look beautiful :)

One of my girlfriends is 5 months pregnant and she recently ran a 10 mile race with us . . . she beat a bunch of guys and the guy who finished after her whispered: "Just don't tell my friends that you're pregnant, okay?"

Of course, her baby belly does give it away :) I can totally envision you kicking down a bunch of men while 5 months pregnant!

Bridget