Sunday, May 25, 2008

I Wonder if I Won the Pregnant Woman's Division

I ran a race this morning. I have been missing racing something fierce (which is great considering I was becoming more and more anxious and stressed about my races before the pregnancy). I met my buddy Daisy in the quaint little town of Chagrin Falls for the 5.25 hilly mile Blossom Time Run. I wanted to run 8:00 pace. That's a bit faster than I've been running the past few months, but hopefully not pushing too hard.

I got to the starting line and there was a mob scene. This race is huge! I finally found Daisy with just a few minutes to spare and we headed toward the middle of the starting mob. When the gun went off we slowly made our way to the start and then proceeded to just hang in the slow mob for the first mile. I am more worried about tripping over someone right now than running a fast time, so that was fine by me! Our first mile was a blistering 9:30 give or take a few seconds. By the middle of the second mile the crowd seemed to thin out and we were able to pick it up and start passing loads of people. Our second mile was around 8:20.

By the third mile were holding a sub-8:00 pace pretty steady and still talking and feeling good. Near the end of this mile we had a lesson in why the USATF banned headphones in its races. Since the second mile Daisy and I had passed dozens of people. We were probably cruising about :30 faster than the speed of traffic generally. And like I said, I wasn't going to be taking any risks to pass anyone. So, we passed a guy on either side who I didn't even notice until he barked, "Way to cut me off, jerks!" We turned and looked at him confusedly about 8 feet behind us (hardly cutoff). As we turned around he said, "If you're going to pass me at least sprint!" We turned around again and this time I said, "Dude, it's a race." And then as I turned back and Daisy and I were shrugging he said, "Fatass!" That was it. I turned around and as all the people around him looked at him like he had three heads I said, "I'm three months pregnant!" But he didn't fail to yell back. "I can't hear you. I'm wearing headphones!" he screamed Haha. Daisy and I were shocked yet pretty entertained by that. It appears he thought he was muttering under his breath but with those headphones on he was actually screaming! And out of the three of us, there was only one real fat ass and it wasn't me or Daisy! Anyway, like I said we picked the pace up a bit after that and we could hear him coughing and wheezing in the background. It's sad that for some men there's nothing worse than being beat by a woman other than being beat by a pregnant woman (running at a conversational pace as he's sucking wind). Sad to say, I hope he's one of those men!

So we kept up about a 7:4x pace until the last .25 miles. I couldn't help myself. It's been more than 3 months since I ran anything faster than 9:00 miles! I said, "Come on Daisy, let's push it!" and I took off probably at 7:00 pace, but what felt like 5:30 pace! I passed dozens of people and it was really fun. I finally made it to the chute with Daisy right behind me and my first race with Peanut in the bag and a new 5.25 mile pr of 43:15 from the gun. And E came in 5th and won an overall award of $$! Yeah, E! I knew she could do it!

So, it was nice to run a race to enjoy it and have fun and for no other reason. I think post-peanut I am going to be a totally different runner than I was before.

12 comments:

E-Speed said...

Glad you had fun today girlie! No wonder you looked like you were booking it at the finish, you were!

Glad you gals came out and thanks for hanging out with me afterwards!

Miss Adventurous said...

Aw, Peanut's first race! At lightning speed (for a Peanut)!

marathon mommy said...

Great job. I was also in the pregnancy division yesterday :) However, I was no where near sub 8 minute miles so you definitely won! At 36 weeks, I'm just happy to be able to waddle at all. Best wishes.

Chelle said...

Ha, that's heeelarious about passing that guy. What a jerk.

And wow to your commenter who was out there at 36 weeks. My guess is she's tall. If I ever take the pregnancy plunge I'll probably be nearly spherical by 36 weeks. As being as you're not much taller than me, so will you!

GP said...

It's always cool to read about someone regaining the joy of racing. Especially when she's so great at it. Great job!

TrainingtoTri said...

Nice job, that's a tough race. I can't believe that guy called you fat! What a jackass.

kenyarunb said...

You and Peanut are awesome. I am so glad that you two (and Daisy!) kicked that headphone-wearing rude runner's a**!!

Bridget

Joseph P. Wood said...

Nothing like the pretension of an 8:00 race pace. Seriously. I had a run in with a guy like that once when I was pacing a friend of mine (she was a midpack runner then); I told the dude I'd find him after the race if he didn't shut up. God, guys suck...

solarsquirrel said...

I SO wish I would have witnessed that jerk calling you fat. UNBELIEVABLE! I would have made him feel so bad. UGH. You are so awesome! I can't imagine what it's like going from super fast and having to hold back the speed.

katesun said...

WOW!! You are amazing !! Great time ! and welcome to the 2nd trimester !!

katesun said...

WOW!! You are amazing !! Great time ! and welcome to the 2nd trimester !!

Papa Louie said...

Well, it's obvious that jackass is not a respectable runner. And yes, you did win the pregnant woman's divsion. Good race.