Saturday, May 03, 2008

Peanut Needs a Crash Helmet

Mrp and I commute to work together since we work at the same company. It's pretty nice especially now with the astronomical gas prices. We live about 25 miles east of downtown, so we really save a lot in doing this. Plus it's nice to have some extra time together. We often have great talks on our commutes or one of us can catch a nice little nap while the other drives. Even so, we've started to consider taking a commuter bus. Gas is just getting so expensive and combined with parking the $10/day it would cost us to take the bus seems more and more like a bargain. We decided to try it out on Monday.

So, yesterday during our last commute downtown before at least temporarily switching to the bus, mrp and I were having a nice time speculating about other drivers' lives and such. We passed a Chipotle billboard that made me feel nauseous and then there was a huge fluorescent green billboard advertising cheap and quick paternity tests. That provided a good laugh and then all of a sudden the traffic in front of us stopped. Mrp slammed on the brakes and I thought for sure we were going to hit the car in front of us, but when the abs engaged and we stopped short of her bumper we let out a collective phew and then WHAM! We got smacked from behind and then slammed into the woman in front of us. We were #2 in a 5 car pile-up.

Our necks lurched and I immediately thought, "Peanut!" But the lower belt at no time pulled on my belly, so there was no direct trauma to peanut. I was still very worried though. Could the mild trauma to my body be enough to hurt peanut? My instincts said that although it was scary and I should definitely talk to a paramedic, peanut would be ok cushioned in his/her little amniotic fluid bubble. Mrp said peanut probably was in there saying, "Weee! Do it again, mommy!" I hope.

As we sat there for a minute trying to make sense of everything and collect ourselves, the woman who hit us came over to our car. She was crying and shaking hysterically. "Are you guys ok?" she stammered? "I'm so sorry!" We tried to calm her down and then she looked and me and said, "Salty One?" And I said, "M.M.?" She's an old friend I haven't seen in years! So weird! It actually helped me to relax and I kicked into take charge mode and I came out of the car and hugged her and tried to make her feel better. "These things happen," I said. "It's all going to be ok."

Later after the cops moved us off the highway and onto an offramp, I hooked up with the paramedics. I went into the ambulance and they said all they could do was check my vitals. If my vitals were ok and there was no direct trauma to my belly then peanut was probably fine. They said I could go to the hospital to get an ultrasound. It was tempting to go see peanut again, to assuage my fears. But we have a prenatal appointment on Wednesday as it is and I might as well use this opportunity to trust my instincts and just wait until then to hear peanut's heartbeat. Oh, I cannot wait to hear that heartbeat!

I was ok most of the day. By some miracle our car was drivable, although very hoopty-ish. We decided to just stay at home for the day. I needed to relax and take it easy after that. I just did. I felt ok most of the day but by the evening I started to worry about peanut again. I talked to my aunt who is a doctor and she said peanut's most likely fine too and mrp reassured me, but it's still so hard. I really need to learn to deal with this worrying now or else I'm going to be a mess for 18+ years. On the brightside, running seems like nothing to worry about and that bus seems even cheaper now!

11 comments:

CJ said...

How scary! Take it easy this weekend.

Something like that does make the bus look better and better.

Mindi said...

Crazy! I am glad you are ok.

As for the running while pregnant. I think exercise is GREAT for you during pregnancy so long as you do not overdo it. The HRM suggestion on your last post was a great idea.

Pregnancy is scary. Especially early pregnancy b/c miscarriage rate is so high in general. Just try to relax and enjoy it. You will be ok. And so will peanut. :)

Joseph P. Wood said...

Holy crap...that's my terrific insight. Seriously, I'm glad everyone, big & small, is fine...

Mindi said...

You have been tagged by Mindi.
Rules:
1) Write your own six word memoir
2) Post it on your blog and include a visual illustration if you want
3) Link to the person that tagged you in your post, and to the original post if possible so we can track it as it travels across the blogosphere
4) Tag at least five more blogs with links
5) Leave a comment on the tagged blogs with an invitation to play

JenC said...

Glad to hear you and your friend weren't harmed. When I stress about the dangers of riding a bike in traffic, my hubby points out that I endanger myself more on my commutes to/from work.

GP said...

Phew! Good to hear everyone is OK! It's hard enough to have an accident, let alone be in an accident and control your peanut-worry gene.

How strange that you were hit by someone you knew?

I hope you had a relaxed weekend and a nice commute this morning! Peanut will appreciate all the low-stress time you'll have on the bus (I heart bus-riding) and all the baby-info-reading you can do on your way to work!

TrainingtoTri said...

Oh that's awful! A similar thing happened to my old boss. She got rearended by a Hummer when she was like 18 weeks pregnant. That was when she told us she was preggers b/c she was sooo overly upset. How scary, glad to hear everyone is alright.

DaisyDuc said...

That is so scary. I am glad you are all Ok and I am sure you will feel better after tomorrow when you hear Peanuts little heart. Thoughts are with all of you!

jen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jen said...

am glad you and mrp and peanut are okay! putting together a box of clothes for you...

Papa Louie said...

Sorry to hear of the accident. I do hope all is well with you and the baby and mrp.