Monday, July 07, 2008

9 to 5

So much going on! Aaaaahhhh! I'll get back to talking about running soon, I swear. Strangely it's taken a back seat to other aspects of my life. I'm still running 5 days a week (or more on occasion), but it's complimenting me not defining me at the moment. Novel concept!

Anyway, besides preparing for peanut, I've been busy working on my career. If you recall, I briefly flirted with the idea of changing jobs back in the winter. I decided against aggressively pursuing the job when the head of the governmental agency I applied to was ousted in an ugly scandal, and of course taking a huge cut in pay and potentially having to relocate were not high up on my list of want-to-do's once I learned peanut was on his way.

Anyway, I've more or less decided for now to stay put in the land of corporate drones. For a law job I have a sane schedule, good pay, and I genuinely like the people I work with and the work I do (usually!). I could easily coast here for 20+ years if I wanted to. But I can't do that. No, if I'm going to stay here I am going to try to advance myself. In the upper tier of the corporate food chain real advancement happens slowly. I used to think this was a problem, but now I realize this is good. Any chance of a big career move here will occur when peanut is well into elementary school at the earliest! Plus, in the meantime, I have a lot to do!

I am a tax lawyer. I am a lawyery tax lawyer and not a taxy tax lawyer. I am good with big broad legal concepts and stuff like litigation and contract interpretation, but I am no accountant and I struggle with accounting principals. Yeah, if I want to go anywhere here I need to put in some hours studying accounting and (*gasp*) sit for the CPA at some point. Yucko! Actually, I am kind of excited about it. I swore off ever going back to school, but to sit for the CPA I only need 30 hours and if I start by taking a class here or there now, I should be good to go in 5-6 years! I feel totally fine committing to something that far in the future. Heh. But, seriously, accounting is such my nemesis here at work now I am really excited to get on top of it and slay the beast.

Parallely (not a word, but the concept I'm looking for), I am pursuing another avenue of career advancement. I've been in talks with my alma mater law school to teach a tax law class as an adjunct professor. I loved law school. I mean, LOVED it! I am freak that way I think. In law school I thought my dream job was to be a tenure track law professor. I thought my only barrier to that was pedigree. Well, now I still feel being a professor would be pretty rad, I'm not sure I'm cut from that cloth. As much as I would love to sit down and research some esoteric tax law concept and write a blockbuster article, I just don't have it in me now. Sadly, it's not my lack of pedigree in the way of a tenure-track position, but my lack of motivation. I think I may just be content with moving up the corporate ladder and busting through the glass ceiling here. Oh, and dabbling in teaching on the side for a lot of fun and resume boosting hijinks. The adjunct position will help boost my credibility as an expert in my field when promo time comes. And yes, I am super stoked and looking forward to imparting knowledge on young minds. Can't wait!

Now why all this? Well, with peanut coming and my need to earn a living I feel like I need to make my career worthwhile if I'm going to leave my precious little one in someone else's care 5 days a week. I feel like I owe it to peanut to do my best here. I want our little boy to be proud of his mom and dad and to have good examples to impart a strong work ethic among other values. I want to feel satisfied (as often as possible, I'm realistic and not psychotic enough to think corporate america could possibly leave anyone satisfied all the time!) when I come home to my nut and not resent my job for stealing my precious time away from him. I do believe that's possible.

Oh yeah. Peanut's a boy.

6 comments:

TrainingtoTri said...

Ahhhh I knew it, I thought he was a boy. Oh well, I had a 50/50 chance anyway, so I won't start thinking I'm psychic. Good luck on your career path, you are a very lucky woman to enjoy what you do, so few people do. I wish I could figure out what the heck I want to do with my life!

DaisyDuc said...

Oh, the cat is outta the bag to the world!!!!

Good luck with the career. Half the battle is simply figuring out what you want and it sounds like you are well on your way!

solarsquirrel said...

There is nothing wrong with always wanting to advance. I am going so slowly with my MBA, but you know what - I still have a life and I'm actually LEARNING vs. cramming. Going slowly will allow you do decide exactly what your next career move will be and you will be more open to opportunities. Congrats. on finding out the gender of the peanut!!

Audrey said...

it's interesting to read about a young lawyer looking ahead in her career. i'm very much in the process of deciding what i'm going to do! (i'm a 3L).

i'm co-teaching my first law class this fall (to undergrads) and it's one line on the very bottom of my resume-and i've been asked about it in every interview since i've put it on there. you're very right that people seem to like it or are at least interested by it. (and i also don't want to be full-time faculty). i'm pretty sure that i want to practice.

but then again, who is to say what we'll like once we try it out :)

thx for the fun news on peanut's sex!! yeah!

Joseph P. Wood said...

I revise my request a few months back: Grover Carver Peanut Mrp Jr. Womb-Blogger, not necessarily in that order.

Meghan said...

Peanut's a boy! How exciting!

Oh yeah, I empathize with you and the career choices that you're mulling over right now. I agree with the above poster in that it's exciting to read about someone who really likes their job. We are few and far between in this world, it sometimes seems.

Be well ;)
Meghan