Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Meghan's Crooked Trip to Cleveland: Part I

Blog worlds collided in a little Italian restaurant in suburban Cleveland last Friday night. As I sat at a table with mrp in the crowded restaurant, I looked up and saw E-Speed, Meghan, and Chelle on their way over along with Meghan's mom. That's right, us Cleveland gals (E-speed and me) had the privilege of hosting our Wyoming and St. Louis by way of New York City blog buddies. Ok. How did this all come to pass?

If you're a fan of Meghan's blog you would know that she was training for a 100 miler. And not just any hundred miler, but the Burning River 100 miler that starts 1.5 miles from my doorstep! You better believe I wouldn't let my blog buddy come that close without some sort of fanfare!

Ok, but what about Chelle? What was she doing there? Didn't she just move to St. Louis like a few days ago? Sure. She moved, but why would that stop her from getting on a plane moments after dropping her stuff off in the middle of Missouri to fly back east to run 30 miles with a woman she never actually met in person? Wouldn't you?

Where were we? That's right. I stood up to greet my friends: one who I see several times a week, one who I've met once before, and one who I've never met in my life. And immediately mrp had to leave to tend to his father who was rushed back to the hospital moments beforehand. He's fine, thankfully! But, the four of us bloggers plus Meghan's mom soldiered on and we plotted and planned how we were going to ensure Meghan wound her way along the crooked formerly burning river to the finish line of the 101.2 mile race. We were like Meghan's 4, each with a specific job to do. Mom was the leader of Meghan's official crew. Chelle was the primary pacer. E-Speed was the secondary pacer.

My job was a bit less defined. Under normal circumstances you better believe I'd pace her for as many miles as I possibly could. I'd tell Meghan stories. I'd tell her bad jokes. I'd sing her songs. I'd do cartwheels on the trail in the dark. I'd do whatever it took to make her dream come true. I know how hard she has worked and how much it means to her. I know what that's like, even though my dreams don't consist of running all day and all night! I could only wish I were that bold! (was that grammatically correct?) So, sadly I could not pace her in the dark on single-track trails in the middle of the night while almost 6 months pregnant. But I do happen to be friends with the most enthusiastic runner in North America, E-speed, who despite already committing to run one of the biggest and most critical aid stations on the course agreed whole-heartedly to pace Meghan anytime, anywhere she needed her. This without meeting her, having ever read her blog, and just based on my one sentence fragment description of her: my blog friend from Wyoming. However, the only way she could ensure her availability was to have a back-up aid station captain in case she had to high tail it out of there before the aid station was shut down. That's where I come in. That I can do! Without hesitation I was in!

7 comments:

E-Speed said...

I love reading all these reports after such a big endeavor! Keep it coming! And thanks so much for your efforts at our aid station this weekend! You did a great job and you kept me awake and sane later in the evening!

Meghan said...

Hello adorable pregnant lady,

You may not think you were able to contribute to my experience in as many ways as you wished, but you were wonderful to me! I'm so super grateful, Salty!

Love,
Meghan

Joseph P. Wood said...

Man, I envy your ability to meet up w/ internet folks. Each time I've tried, life has gotten in the way. But it's a blast to place faces with internet monikers...

Mindi said...

Awesome - sounds like such a fun time!

The Salty One said...

Sorry Joseph. Tuscaloosa is just not the running mecca that Cleveland is. For some reason I am getting really lucky on this front this year. I will hopefully have a few more meet-ups to write about in the coming months! Stay tuned!

Steve Stenzel said...

Yeah, no pacing when you've got that baby inside of you!! Still sounds like a fun day!!

Baby and Me said...

You are just amazing! We need to see a picture of you and your bump! I need a visual of this cute preggo woman that runs more than I did before I was pregnant!