Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Somethin' in the Oven

Lately when I run downtown I am subjected to all kinds of interesting comments. The first time anyone said anything to me was about a month ago. I was running with a friend and we passed two men standing on the side of the road. When they were behind us we heard one guy say to the other, "Holy Sh*t! She's got somethin' in the oven!" Another time I was out there and two ladies came running up to me and pointed at me and said, "You! You are having a boy!!" It was almost like they were gypsies or something. It was weird. These were two exceptional circumstances. Today is more typical. I was running with my buddy E over a long bridge and this older guy passed us on his bike and said, "I've never seen a pregnant lady jogging before!" It was cute. And then when we were almost done and just crossing the street to my office we passed a guy idling on his motorcycle who said, "Go momma!" The beauty of it is that every time someone says something to me it's in support of me running. I have yet to have anyone say anything negative.

That being said my mother-in-law got wind of the relay. Mrp insisted I not tell her because she'd worry and since the article was in the Akron paper he figured she'd never see it. Well, her niece saw it who told her sister-in-law who then called her. So now she knows. Of course when she found out it was like the game telephone and I was now running a full marathon at almost 8 months pregnant! She called mrp who set the record straight and forwarded the story to her. I called her too. If it was up to me I'd tell her since there isn't anything to worry about and plus when you keep something like that a secret and then it comes out (which it always does!) then it looks like you're up to something fishy. But I'm not! Even the guy on the motorcycle agrees!

2 comments:

DaisyDuc said...

It makes running with you all the more interesting as I never know what comment you will hear! How awesome it is though that every comment has been cute and positive! Go Mama!!

4thof5 said...

we've come a long way...when my mom was pregnant with my brother in the 60's she had to quit her job because they didn't want a pregnant woman in the classroom and she had women express disgust at her even coming out of the house at 8 and 9 months along. keep it up, chica!