Monday, September 22, 2008


Surely the Fortune Part is Right Around the Corner!

http://www.ohio.com/news/top_stories/29204974.html

All 5 members of the Speed Bumps met on Thursday night for an interview with the Akron Beacon Journal.  The reporter wanted to focus the story about the one member of our team who grew up in Akron.  Other than taking some liberties with the quotes, it's a cute article and *KB* makes a great cover girl!  (For instance, he just asked me what my time was in Boston and this question was not in any other context other than that. My time in Boston, which isn't even a pr or a race that I am particularly more proud of than any other, was in no way linked to why I'm running the last leg.  The real reason is I figured no one else would want to run the long odd distance of 7.6 miles and that I'd have a better chance of finding 4 pregnant runners for 5k's and 10k's. But if he wanted to make it sound like we had time trials to pick our anchor that's fine. Heh.)  

So, the relay is on Saturday! I am getting really excited about it.  It was so fun for all of us to meet each other.  I knew 3 of the other members long before Thursday, but just met *KB* on Thursday.  I found her through allenjel (perserverance13.blogspot.com).  It was so great to meet her and see the whole team together! And of course it was great for everyone else to meet each other too!  I have to admit I've been a little worried about signing up for the longest leg.  Somedays lately running just doesn't feel all that great and I've only run more than 7 miles maybe 8 times since I've been pregnant.  Plus mrp has been a bit worried about me running lately, especially racing because he worries I will push myself too hard. Yesterday, I had an opportunity to test myself a little bit.  I took the previous two days off from running completely so I was well rested.  I got up early and went out to my old long run stomping grounds to get a run in before I met my friend Evie (runninalong-evie5000.blogspot.com) for breakfast.  I got there with plenty of time and it was a gorgeous crisp and cool almost-fall morning.  I felt good and I managed to run 8 solid miles with just two pee breaks and only one absolutely necessary! Not only did I run 8 miles but I averaged under 10:00 pace.  I felt really good! So now I'm very confident I will be able to finish my leg no problem.  Phew! And I had a great time with Evie. So it was a great morning! I am just going to take it easy the rest of this week and I should be fine for Saturday.  Can't wait!

PS If this post is funky, it's because I'm e-mailing it to blogger.  This is my first time with that so cut me some slack if it comes out all weird!  

5 comments:

DaisyDuc said...

Jeez, 7.5 months prego and still rocking! You girls make me sooo proud. I can even brag that I know most of you! Love the story!

Heather said...

Good luck this weekend!

allanjel said...

This is going to be soooo A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!! Mel and I will be screaming and cheering for you guys when we are done fo' sho'!!!! Get 'em girl!!

Lloyd said...

Hi Salty!

Not sure if you know I'm working at VR now, but we just got your team shirts in -- they're cute.

If you make it to the expo, come over and say hello.

Good luck, Speed Bumps.

Xenia said...

Good luck to you and the rest of the Speed Bumps!