Monday, October 27, 2008

Lightening


Towards the end of some pregnancies, momma experiences something called lightening.  What this means is that baby hunkers down into the pelvis to get ready for his houdini like exit from the womb.  Yesterday, peanut dropped! I had a busy morning and early afternoon and I came home pooped.  I crawled into bed for a nap and noticed my pubic bone ached something fierce.  I adjusted my postion and snoozed deeply until the alarm woke up (stupid stupid alarm!)  I had the hardest time prying myself out of bed, but I finally did and I just felt terrible.  I started the rest of my chores anyway.  Mrp came home and I told him how I was feeling and suddenly I realized--I can breathe! Mrp took a look and wasn't convinced.  He has me lift up my t-shirt.  "Hmmm. Maybe!" he said.  My belly button is now turned slightly downward and my belly is much fuller lower.  I still have my basketball but it's not as big looking.  I am so glad I got that photo (http://notpeppery.blogspot.com/2008/10/happy-birthday-mrp.html) at the height of my hugeness!  

 Anyway, the whole this is weird though because I was having tons of Braxton Hicks all day and I felt nauseous.  I think maybe the nausea is there to make me hungry again because I was having a hard time eating with peanut all up in my stomach before.  I am not sure if I'd prefer the heart burn to the nausea.  Tough call!  But now I am exchanging my breathlessness and heartburn with constant pelvic pressure and more Braxton Hicks.  And the swelling isn't getting any better so I think running is pretty much out of the question until after peanut's arrival.  My left hand looks like a catcher's mitt.

Last night this big change got me really nervous that maybe peanut will come really really early.  I was up for two hours with anxiety about going into labor last night!  However, I read up on it and it sounds like it usually indicates weeks to go not minutes so I should be safe today. Phew!

3 comments:

DaisyDuc said...

Hopefully Houdini makes a fast easy exit!

TrainingtoTri said...

Oh you poor thing! You sound so uncomfortable. I hope he holds out for another 2 weeks or so.

RGSMOM said...

It is me Kate from NYC. How are you ? I had the baby !! Hope you are doing well. Lightening is a great sign my first never dropped !