Wednesday, November 19, 2008

The Latent Stage of Labor

* I am in labor. Whoa! Don't get too excited! According to my doula, I am in what is called the latent stage of labor. I have been having contractions since yesterday afternoon and they were consistently 7:00 apart and getting pretty intense. However, they since spaced out to 9:00 apart and are now irregular in both intervals and intensity. Last night they got so intense I had to hum to get through them. Those suckers can hurt! Hopefully, they're getting things moving so I can progress into active labor soon. Although, don't get your hopes up. The ol' doula says the latent stage of labor can drag out for 2-3 days! On the other hand, the contactions can pick up into active labor at any time too. So I have gone from one sort of waiting game to another, similar although slightly different waiting game complete with cramps!

*A photo of me getting ready to handle one of those nastier contactions. Ok, not really. But isn't harmonica guy cute?!

9 comments:

E-Speed said...

Lets hope for the shorter latent stages! Boy you sure make pregnancy sound fun ;)

All right peanut stop driving your mother crazy and join us on the outside! :)

TrainingtoTri said...

Oooh I hope it's shorter too, you've already waited long enough over the last week. See you soon Peanut.

jessica said...

whether it's quick or not, congrats on getting started -- it WILL happen!

looks like we're birth plan twins, so I'm definitely eager to hear how things go for you.

marathon mommy said...

Good luck! If it makes you feel any better, I thought the period after the baby was born was infinitely easier than pregnancy or childbirth. Kind of like the adrenaline rush right after you cross the finish line. There's a light at the end of the tunnel!

joe positive said...

I'm still betting it's tomorrow!

That harmonica player looks a tad bit like Ron Paul, btw.

Clare said...

it seems mean of our bodies to take so long! i'm almost 36 weeks and keep trying to convince myself something is progressing...

Mindi said...

Yay! Good luck to you both - I hope all goes well!!!

Joann said...

Woo hoo, almost there!

DaisyDuc said...

Come on peanut, let's get this party started already!