Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Bye Bye 2008. Hello 2009!

* Well, 2008 was a big year and now it's coming to a close. It certainly was not a big running year for me, but otherwise it was huge! I'm hoping there will be more running in 2009. In a few minutes I have to leave for my 6 week postpartum check-up. This is where I'll learn whether or not it was a stupid idea to start running already. Last I left you I was hoping to run 3 miles continuously by New Years. As of today I've run at least 3 miles continuously 5 times! Last week (+ this Monday) was like this:

M: off
T: run 1:00 (10:00 pace)/walk 2:00 and then run 1:00/walk 1:00 for a while until I had 3 miles in.
W: run 3:00/walk 1:00 x 10 (10:00 pace)
Th: ran 3 miles straight (9:48 pace)
F: ran 3.5 miles (9:33 pace)
S: Ran 4 outside with no watch.
Su: Ran 4 outside with no watch.
M: ran 4 outside with no watch.

It was so nice to break a sweat, especially outide! For each run I definitely started to get a little tired toward the end, but nothing too bad. I am just out of shape. The pace felt easy, like 8:00 pace back when I was in shape. The worst part is that none of my running clothes fit me right now. I have to wear race t-shirts. I can squeeze a tech shirt on my body but I have to wear a t-shirt over it or I feel too self-conscious. I broke down and ordered some larger winter running clothes just to get me through the winter--just a jacket, a tech shirt and a pair of pants. I don't feel that huge or anything, but I am about 2 dress sizes bigger than I was pre-pregnancy right now. I'll find out how many millions of pounds I weigh shortly :(

Anyway, it amazes me how I feel exponentially better every day. I went from worrying about running more than 1:00 at a time to running 40:00 at a time within the span of days. I definitely am still weak in spots from the birth, but I am slowly getting back to normal. I hope my midwife gives me the ok to make running a part of getting back to normal now and in the New Year! I'll keep you posted!

In the meantime, enjoy some Nathaniel pics from Christmas!








Update: I have the go-head to keep on going! I am all healed up and ok to run. That's the good news. The bad news is that I am still 24 lbs over my pre-preg weight and almost 30 lbs over my racing weight! Yikes! I can lose 30 lbs by summer, right?

*Speaking of out with the old and in with the new, it may very well be the end of an era. We asked Nathaniel if he wanted to be called Nate and he smiled at us. Then we asked him if he wanted to be called peanut and he very audibly pooped.

4 comments:

TrainingtoTri said...

Cute pictures. Thanks for the update. I am impressed to hear you are running so much. I can't wait to hear what the midwife says! You rock!

Clare said...

glad you were "cleared" to run...i waited 11 days...can't wait til my doctor gives me the "OK" too, i will just smile and say thanks.

Mindi said...

Congrats on a great year and your return to running! Don't worry about the extra weight, it will come off in no time (although it will probably feel like years). Just remember that it took 9 months to put it on, it will take several to take it off. Just keep taking care of yourself and peanut.

Happy 2009!

DC Running Mama said...

Congrats on returning to running! It took me about 3 weeks before I could get to below 10 min miles....at least occassionally.