Sunday, December 07, 2008

Walking

So yeah, still no birth story. This week. I promise!! Instead of writing that I have actually been working out. I am honestly shocked I have felt good enough to do anything already, but I'm very happy about it and of course taking it it very easy and going about my transition back into a runner very slowly.

On the Saturday after Thanksgiving we took Nathaniel for his first walk outside. It was in the high 40's and sunny. We bundled him up and walked about a mile in an hour. I had to move very slowly as all my muscles were still quite weak. Plus, we ran into a bunch of our neighbors who insisted on stopping us to admire the baby. It's so nice how many people are almost as happy for us as we are!

After that first walk, I was not very hopeful about getting back to exercising any time soon, but much to my surprise I have been feeling exponentially better every day. On Monday I vacuumed two rooms and did a circuit of lunges, calf raises, crunches and push-ups. On Tuesday I felt good enough to get in a walk on the treadmill. I walked 1.5 miles in about 1/2 an hour. On Wednesday it was in the 40's again so I took Nathaniel out for a walk and we made it about 1.5 miles. Then I did 1.75 miles on Thursday. I took Friday off and then this weekend I walked 2.1 miles on Saturday and 2.5 today. Every day I've done my circuits too except I only got crunches and push-ups in yesterday but I did do my full stretching routine for the first time in months! I am starting to think I might try to incorporate a little running in a week. I have no reason to push it (other than being a bit antsy to get back to my prepregnancy weight!) so I'll just go day by day with how I feel.

Uh oh! Somebody's hungry!! Here are some more pics from our first walk.




5 comments:

marathon mommy said...

The baby is adorable! You'll be back in form before you know it. At first you'll be amazed by how fast a 8 or 9 or 10 minute mile seems and the thought of doing 26 in a row is incomprehensible. However, keep at it and one day everything will click. I'm 6 months out and feel like I finally have my racing legs underneath me after a year long hiatus.

TrainingtoTri said...

So glad to hear you are back out there! Hopefully we can get togehter for a walk soon. I can't wait to meet Natahaniel.

AddictedToEndorphins said...

He is too cute:) Glad to hear your getting back out there!

Clare said...

great to hear the details of your "comeback"...even if they seem slow to you now, it gives me some realistic expectations for my own. considering i've even given up walking at this point (38 weeks), what you're doing sounds great!

IVF Running Mama said...

Great name, BTW...we considered Nathaniel as well!