Friday, January 02, 2009

The Year of the Peanut

Some bandwagons are worth jumping on, like previous year highlight highlighting. This is so if for no other reason than to give me an excuse to treat my pregnancy induced amnesia and reread my posts for the past year. So without further ado:

- I struggled with downtime. My mind and body needed a break after training for 3 marathons in the span of 1 year (10/06, 4/07, 10/07). Yet, my sense of self had become so wrapped up in my running achievements that I really struggled taking it down a notch. I thought I could race and not really race and be ok with that, but I really struggled with that aspect of downtime in particular.

- I flirted with career change. When I was in law school I always had the fantasy of practicing constitutional law in some capacity--working in a federal court, for government, teaching, etc. Yet, somehow I ended up going into tax. I do occasionally get to practice constitutional law in my current job which is pretty rad. Nevertheless, when I received a tip about a job with my state's solicitor general I couldn't resist the temptation to apply and ultimately interview for it. A short time later the solicitor's office (more precisely the attorney general's office that the solicitor worked under) was wracked by scandal (not unlike this) and the job possibility fizzled out.

- I made peace with winter running. I managed to run through the harshest winter months without use of the treadmill and really enjoyed it courtesy of my newfound relationship with Cleveland's flats.

- I traveled to Las Vegas and the Grand Canyon. Mrp and I had a late honeymoon out west. And yes, I can't resist saying what happens in Vegas doesn't always stay in Vegas: see exhibit A.

- I worried I would never get pregnant while I was pregnant!

- I made lots of new friends! I met blog friends in real life (Chelle, Meghan, Mainers) and met friends in real life who have blogs (Christina, Monica, GP, Allenjel, Solar Squirrel, JenC, and TriSara). I was hoping to also meet Mindi, Joe Positive and Bridget too, but those plans did not pan out this year. Hopefully soon!

- A marathon invited me to run as an elite! Sure, it's local and on the small side and of course I have not earned a real elite running anything, but it was still one of the coolest days of my running life when I received that letter!

- When I was briefly sidelined from running I walked for my mom. I organized a big group of friends and family to surprise my mom at our local MS walk. We raised lots of money and even more importantly showed my mom how much we love and support her!

- I ran races with a Peanut on board. I even won one!

- My all pregnant chick relay dream became a reality! And we even got press and were on tv!

- I quit running. It was temporary of course, but it's funny how the year kind of came full circle. At first I was having a really hard time running less than 50 miles per week and by the end I had to scrap running all together and I didn't have a problem with it. Sure, I was 9 months pregnant at the time, but the pregnancy turned out to be something that helped me learn how to relax and go with the flow a little bit. I had to have faith that my fitness would come back eventually and I do. As I am now working to get back into shape and I am slow and can't run very far I feel happier with things now than I did back in January when I could still run a sub-20 5k on a bad day. Everything has a time and a place and there are natural ebbs and flows and when you go with it, it really can be pretty cool once you get past the scary part.

- I gave birth to a peanut! After initially not liking the nickname peanut, mrp and I adopted it for our baby whole-heartedly both in this blog and real life. In fact, everyone called the baby peanut from my grandparents to mrp's niece and nephew. Once born peanut was Nathaniel, but deep down he'll always be my peanut. Nathaniel is such a treasure. I know every mom says this stuff about her baby but he really is just an amazing little guy who has enriched our lives immensly. It's not always easy and sometimes I feel like I'm being hazed, but overall when I can take a step back I cannot believe how wonderful Nathaniel has made my life and mrp's life and our life together. We are one lucky family!

- I started running again! I eased into it, but I am running up to 4 miles by the end of 2008. As frustrating as being out of shape can be, I really am excited to see what happens in my running life in 2009. I suspect I will be able to get somewhat fast again, but the time off gave me a new perspective and a renewed sense of joy about just running. So, no matter what happens I will find some kind of satisfaction in my running assuredly. Remind me of this on those days when I feel fat and slow :)

So, that was my 2008 in a (pea)nut shell!

Happy New Year to you!

9 comments:

TrainingtoTri said...

Sounds like a great 2008!

jessica said...

what a terrific year-in-review!

I also feel like pregnancy was such a great opportunity to step back and decide what really defines me (or decide to defy definition). There's nothing like being sidelined to remind you of why you do things, and boy, it's so much more fun to be sidelined by pregnancy than something like a stress fracture or ITBS!

TrainingtoTri said...

Hey Laura - will you do me a favor and email me your mailing address? Thanks.

Joann said...

Happy New Year!

Mindi said...

Wonderful recap. I have enjoyed the ride via your blog. Here's to a wonderful 2009!

DC Running Mama said...

What a great overview of the year and so cool that you have posts linked for more detail!! BTW--I responded to your comment on my blog...what's the protocol with that? Where do I respond?? New blogger:>

CJ said...

What a great year! Peanut is just adorable, and I'm so glad I got to meet him! Oh yeah, and it was great catching up with you too:)

DaisyDuc said...

Sounds like a wonderfully busy year! Bring on 2009!

Jess said...

Hi, found your blog via Viper's suggestion, and I'm happy to read that you had such a happy and satisfying 2008, and am especially pleased to read about another woman who ran while pregnant. I am newly pregnant and a runner, and am continuing with the running, but it's always nice to read someone else who's done, or is doing, the same. Thanks!