Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Off to the Races!

Last I left you, I mentioned a race schedule.  Since my last few runs have been easily under 9:00 pace I finally believe I can get in shape enough to enjoy racing this spring.  Of course, that doesn't mean I have to run pr's or anything, but rather that I will be in shape enough to run relatively fast and not feel like I'm spinning wheels in knee-deep mud! 

So, what I was thinking was that starting March 2, I will begin structured training for a half-marathon at the end of May.  That would give 13 weeks. I haven't decided how structured I am going to be in terms of training.  For March I just plan to do one fartlek run with short intervals and either a longer tempo fartlek or more likely throw in 2-4 tempo miles into the latter half of my long runs.  While I'm working I will more or less be confined to my lunch time to get my runs in, so I will probably do a longish run on Saturdays and my long long run on Sundays.  My first week will look something like this:

M: easy 4 
T: easy 6
W: 1 hour fartlek with 4 x 1:00, 1:00, 2:00 with half rest. 
Th: easy 6
F: easy 6 including 5 x 30 second strides
Sa: 8 easy
Su: 90 minute run with 15 minutes of up tempo between minutes 60 and 75.

This will give me 48 miles for the week.  I won't increase much over the month.  Maybe go to 55 miles per week by the end.  Then I will test my fitness on March 29th with a local 5k.  From this I will decide how to proceed.  

I anticipate I will follow the program I followed for the first half of my last marathon training cycle and I'll keep my mileage between 55 and 60.  A typical week will be as follows:

M: easy 4
T: run #1 5 x 1000 ~ 10k pace + 4 x 200; run #2 easy 4
W: easy 6
Th: easy 6
F: 4 mile tempo ~ HM pace.
Sa: easy 8
Su: 14 with 2-4 mile push at the end + strides. 

In April I plan to run a 10 miler which will tell me where I am for longer distances and I may tweak my training accordingly.  Most likely this will cause me to adjust my training paces and nothing else.

Then May will be my big month.  I plan a 5k the first weekend, a 10k two weeks after that and then my half-marathon 2 weeks after that.  I don't expect miracles, but I think I'll have a good shot to be fairly close to my pr's at least.  

If all goes well, I'll start training for the Akron Marathon in June!

PS I don't even want to mention what I have to do tomorrow. Ugh. 

5 comments:

Mnowac said...

Sounds like a good plan. I can't imagine running everyday, I've never ran more than 4 days a week. Which is why you are fast and I am slow ;) Good luck getting back out into the racing world!

Mnowac said...

oh and good luck tomorrow :(

DC Running Mama said...

Thanks for posting your training plan for the 1/2 marathon. Seeing that someone as fast as you doesn't log crazy miles is reassuring when thinking about cutting back (see my blog post)!

Viper said...

Welcome back to racing!

Clare said...

ok, when dcmama mentioned your speed, i looked at your PRs...WOW, you are fast compared to me! glad you're feeling like you can start racing...i hope to be there soon!