Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Part-Time?


I got into the office yesterday and of course there was someone sitting in his office shooting the breeze. Of course! And then I went to get a cup of coffee and of course he had a meeting.  I wrote up a race report for the blog. Took care of some administrative stuff. I pumped. That seemed to buy enough time and after a quick pee break to get a handle on my nerves I walked into his office and asked if he had a minute to talk.

It went so much better than I thought. While I was still on maternity leave I had asked to switch my schedule from 8:00 to 5:00 to 7:00 to 4:00 and was denied.  I thought if they won't let me move my schedule up an hour they surely won't allow me to go part-time. Behind the scenes, I've been trying to line up something else more flexible that would allow us to pay the bills and allow me more time with peanut.  I was a networking fool! I am working with a placement agency. I am planning to take a course so I can be be appointed to guardian ad litem positions from time to time.  When I walked into his office yesterday, I was ready to quit.

No matter how much I might like my job, I cannot give peanut less than my 100% best self. And I cannot be my 100% best parent self working these hours at this job.  I need more time.  I don't need to spend 100% of my time with peanut to be the best parent I can be either, but it has to be more time than I currently have.   No matter how much I like my job, am committed to my job, and loyal to my job, I cannot stay at my job if it prevents me from being the best parent I can be. That is a stand I must take.

I closed his door and sat down across from him and laid it all out my dilemma.  I made it clear that I want to work out a solution that allows me to be the best parent I can be and also allows me to stay at my job, but that if I have to choose peanut wins every time. And much to my surprise, he did not laugh at me when I told him that the perfect solution to me is part-time.  Instead, he started brainstorming all the ways we could make that happen. It is not a slam dunk.  It very well might not happen, but the possibility is there.  That alone is much better than I expected! And I am so glad I walked over my fear and into his office.  At least I have to choose to leave, I know I did everything I could do to work things out and I made the right choice.

8 comments:

Clare said...

ahhhh, good for you!!!! fingers crossed for you that it works out.

marathon mommy said...

Thanks great news! A step in the right direction...

oncearunner said...

Hi Salty, I'm just a fellow running mom lurker. Incredibly impressed with your recent 5K time at just 4 months post partum, I might add! I just want to say I hope the part-time situation works out for you. Sounds like you are a great mom already!

Mimi said...

You're a stud! I'm proud of you, way out here in cyberspace!

Mama Simmons said...

Wow! That must have been really hard. I was picturing myself trying to do something like that and just can't imagine doing it without turning into a crying slobbering basketcase. Hope it works out for you!

Mindi said...

Wonderful news! Good luck!

Mnowac said...

That's awesome Laura! I was going to call you last night and time got away from me. Glad to hear an update. I hope you are able to make it work. I too think part time sounds ideal, enough time for baby to be at daycare, stay socialized etc, but enough time to be at home so that you aren't seeing your child all of 10 hours during the work week. I have my fingers crossed for you!!!!!!!!! Hope I can work out some sort of a deal for myself in July.

DaisyDuc said...

Hope it all works out for you...way to stand strong.