Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Starting Somewhere


I don't even know where to start.  I guess we'll start with the b00b.  It is 900 million times better.  The antibiotics knocked the infection out pretty quickly. I have no soreness at all anymore and just feel a tiny bit of residual lumpiness.  My milk supply is back up to normal, which is good because this week I'm thrust right back into ful-time work.  All through the mastitis I managed to maintain peanut's 100% breastmilk diet so I am happy about that.

The one tough thing is that since I was home with peanut 4 out of 5 days last work week, he has reverted and is even more clingy than he was the week before. And I had a taste of being home with him again and my feelings about working reverted too. I miss him terribly and I am feeling much more intolerant of his inability to nap well at the sitter's.  I am also feeling very frustrated at night.  My window to eat dinner, spend quality time with mrp, wind down, take care of day-to-day personal business seems to be getting shorter and shorter every night.  Peanut is demanding more time to go to sleep--last night was about 90 minutes and then is sleeping for shorter and shorter stretches alone.  Last night was about 1/2 an hour, just enough time for me to finish dinner and that's it. I tried getting him back to sleep, but my efforts were futile.  I carried a semi-asleep peanut around while I brushed my teeth, took my antibiotics and vitamins, found something to read and hit the bed at 9:15. I love peanut, but this is becoming unworkable. Something's got to give.

In other news, I happened to catch one of my local blog acquaintences blogs on Saturday and read that at 30 years old she has been diagnosed with non-Hodgkins lymphoma.  She has two little boys, a career, and is a very good runner.  The only symptom she had was knee pain!  She would never have found out about the cancer so early if she wasn't a runner. Goes to show running has more benefits than most people think! Check out her blog and wish her well over here: backfrombaby.blogspot.com.

On a more happy note, the amazing 100 mile girl, Meghan is off to Morrocco to run a 250k through the Sahara! I am so excited for her! I wish her lots of luck and I can't wait to see the amazing pictures! You can go check out her adventures and wish her well here: meghanscrookedtrails.blogspot.com.

As for me, my running has taken a slight hit the last couple weeks between this cold (which is in its third week!) and the mastitis.  I missed one hard run both weeks and about 6-10 miles each week. Not too bad all things considered.  

Here are the numbers for last week:

Mon: 8 miles with peanut and BOB (8:45)
Tue: 7.75 including 4 x 1:00, 1:00, 2:00 fartlek with 1/2 time rest + 4 x :20 HARD! Ran with CV and still haven't forgiven her for convincing me to wear a long sleeve shirt on a 65 degree sunny day (kidding!) (8:15 average)
Wed: 5.5 miles with peanut and Bob (8:25--I was in a hurry to jam in the miles because stupid me was running late!) Also did a brisk 4.5 mile walk with my aunt. 3 hours later was on my @$$ in bed with a fever!
Thu: in bed.
Fri: still in bed.
Sat: 8 miles, 6 with GP and E and 2 alone. All very very easy! Felt tired but good.
Sun: 12 miles from home and to the park. Did a little over an hour on the trails and the rest on the roads. Ran the same route as last week and was almost 5 minutes faster! Felt good. (8:20 pace).

Total: 41.25
Weight: 137 (Was 136 on Thursday, but that had to be from the fever--the 137 was on Sunday after I had been eating and drinking normally for a couple of days).

2 comments:

DC Running Mama said...

Drugs rock! Glad you are feeling better! Be on the lookout for lumps (aka blocked ducts) b/c you are more likely to get them after getting mastitis. Thanks for posting your weekly stats and mileage. It helps to see how other runners train having never run on a team or been coached myself.

marathon mommy said...

Thanks for the shout out!

I hope you get you work/home situation resolved soon. I was in your shoes when my first one was about 6 months old and it was horrible. Thankfully, I was able to find a postion that was a better fit for how we wanted our life to be and it's worked out well.