Monday, April 20, 2009

Happy Patriots Day!


Oh boy. It's Patriots Day. That means it's going to be an unproductive day in the office as I follow the elite race at Boston and track my friends. I have a lunch date at noon so I'll have to peel myself away from the computer then. Hopefully, I'll be back just in time to see my first friend's finish time! By the way, what's up with the slow elite women's race? I'm getting irritated with the commentators who keep comparing this year's splits to splits of past years. OK! We get it! Geesh! Oh, and go Kara!

In other news, the last member of the Speed Bumps relay team had her baby yesterday! Welcome to the world Harper Danielle!

As for running, I ran 7 days last week.  I wanted to get in one solid week before taking this week as a down week as I prep for my second post-peanut race.  I'm racing 10 miles on Saturday.  I'm not quite sure what to expect.  I only have raced 10 miles once before back in 06. I ran a 1:11 something. I ran faster than that in the first 10 miles of my last marathon! But that's my official pr,  so I would just like to beat that.  I'll take any pr's I can get at this point!  If I can squeak under 1:10 I'll be thrilled to pieces! My workouts suggest I am getting into shape, but I don't expect any miracles.  I think sub-1:10 is a doable on a good day, but probably a slight reach.  We'll see!

But yeah, my workouts are going great and they get easier and a little faster each week. I am really stressed and busy wrapping things up at work, so I am really not expecting to do too much these next couple of weeks. This week will be a down week and depending on how the race goes on Saturday, next week might be a recovery week. I'm not sure what a hard 10 will do to me these days. As much as I want to get back to it and push myself, I am listening to mrp and trying to be smart about getting back into shape. Patience is my friend! It will come if I keep plugging along.  To that end, I ditched my watch for my long run this week. I have never done that  before. It was very liberating to just run and not worry about my pace.  I still treated it as a moderate effort run, but I went solely by feel.  I have no idea what my pace was, and I'm cool with that. I just went out easy and slowly picked up the effort throughout the run as usual. It felt good!

Anyway, here are last week's numbers:

M: 7.25 easy with CV (8:40's?)

T: 8  with 6 x 800: 3:19, 3:20, 3:19, 3:15, 3:15, 3:13. Followed it up with 6 x 100 hard.

W: Easy 6.5 with E and CV at lunch (8:40's?)

Th: 8 with 4 mile tempo: 7:14, 7:01, 6:53, 6:38 (7:38 average!)

Fr:  6 at lunch with mrp (8:01)

Sa:  7 no watch. Took peanut to the park and ran with the BOB.

Su: 14 no watch from home to the park around the trails and back home.

Total: 56.75

1 comment:

DC Running Mama said...

Don't worry re: miles ... you will have plenty of time after May 1 to run. It is unfortunate that we don't have more part-time options in the US.