Saturday, May 09, 2009

To 2-Toofed Perfection!

Who would have thought that I'd have less time to blog once I quit my job? Actually, much of that has to do with the fact that our house is a disaster and long overdue for organization, so I am catching up on months of that. Once that's done I should have more time to do fun stuff like blog. I hope, anyway!

In other news, I broke down and checked out the Ferber book from the library. Since I went back to work peanut's sleep habits have really degraded. He fights naps. Much of the time this almost 20 pounder is strapped into his swing (the safety limit is 22 lbs I think). He looks ridiculous! He also is still fighting going down at night and although it's improved a bit since I've been home he wakes up several times before I'm ready to go to bed. Plus, mrp and I agree it's time to get our bed back to ourselves.  Next week I have to go to Columbus all day for a class, so the day after that commences sleep training. For this round our goals are to get naps exclusively in the crib and to get peanut to sleep in his co-sleeper bassinet instead of our bed.  I'll give him one month in the co-sleeper and then we'll work on sleeping for the night in his own room. So, there will be two rounds of sleep training. It's going to be a huge (and ear-piercing) pain in the neck, but if it works it will be so well worth it. I've alway said peanut is really perfect, but for his sleeping. So if we fix that he'll be 2-toofed perfection in a diaper! 

Running, unlike sleeping, is going great. I am on track for my first 60 mile week in a loooooong time. I do not have a race this week so I went to the track on Tuesday and did a tempo run last night.  Mrp took the day off on Tuesday to work at home so I took off early. I went to a local park and ran a new (to me, anyway) trail from the park to the track. It was glorious! It was a bit of a long warm-up and cool-down (an almost completely uphill cool-down, no less), but it was so nice on the legs compared to the roads and nice on the mind compared to easy miles on the track. The workout itself went great too. I did 5 x 1000 with 200m recoveries at 10k effort: 4:02, 4:02, 4:02, 4:00, 3:58 and then 6 x 100 strides for a total of 10 miles. 

Last night I went to my usual park after mrp came home from work. I charged up the garmin before I left. Of course, once I parked and tried to turn the thing on it wouldn't power up. UGH. And of course I didn't bring my regular watch. I sat there for a minute and considered going home and jumping on the treadmill, but that didn't sound like fun at all.  I also considered just running and not worrying about the exact miles or time. But, because I am still getting reacquainted with my fitness I feel like I need the feedback more than usual right now. So, I thought about it for a minute and then decided I was not above running with my cell phone. I know. What a huge dork! Whatever. It got the job done! So, I ran 2.5 miles on the bridle path and then hit the measured bike path for 4 miles. I have been running my tempos this spring with an open mind--kind of start running hardish and see what happens. The result of this tactic has consistently been a steady progression in pace and it feels good so I'm happy with it. Last night the splits were: 7:05, 6:58, 6:49, 6:34.  I ran all four miles with my cell phone open so I could use the stopwatch feature on it. Seriously, I need help! Afterwards, I trotted along the 2.5 miles back to my car for a total of 9 miles. 

Now since peanut is down for his nap (in the swing--*sigh*) and about to wake up any minute, I need to get ready for our run. Today's run is an easy 6 miles with the BOB. Should be fun!    


2 comments:

DC Running Mama said...

Well, we just had our first successful week of sleep training. I think feeding him cereal in the evening, making sure he breastfeeds 2x after 5 pm, putting him down later @ 8pm, and gets in 2 good 1-1.5 hr naps has made it work for us. The first twp nights we turned on a fan in our room and I wore ear plugs. It breaks my heart to hear him cry! Good luck and yeah for your first week as a SAHM!

E-Speed said...

My cousin actually mentioned that both her kids and a few family kids had trouble sleeping in their cribs and that while it sounded ridiculous all of them cured it by having the kid sleep in their car seat. Then eventually moving the car seat into the crib until they could slowly wean off of the car seat. I'm no momma but I would guess that after being cooped up in the womb for so long sleeping in such an open atmosphere is awkward and maybe even stressful.