Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Choices

I just got back from an easy 4 miler this morning. I was pushing peanut through the park in my not-enough-coffee-yet haze and I started to think about my race this weekend. I started feeling nervous and under-prepared and worried that I'd stink it up. But then we ran over a bump and it knocked the sense back into me. I can be afraid to commit to going for a good race and hem and haw and set myself up not to be disappointed if it doesn't go well or I can own it. Why is it so hard to say, I am going to show up to the race and go after it and run my best race? So here goes: I am going to run hard and chase down a big fat pr! Woo!

I have overcome much bigger obstacles. For instance, peanut is out of our bed! Woohoo! And he's doing really well with the transition. He wakes up 2-3 times at night for a feeding, but he almost always eats and goes right back to sleep. Of course, some nights are worse than others but for the most part the transition from co-sleeping to solo-sleeping has been much easier than mrp and I feared. So, yeah for that!

Anyway, I've been terrible about reporting my training. Here's the last two weeks:

6/29 - 7/5

M 8 easy no watch by myself from home to the park

T 8.5 easy with peanut and Evie on the towpath!

W am 9.5 miles including 4 miles tempo (6:37. 6:36, 6:32, 6:23) + 4 x :45 hard strides; pm 4 easy with peanut.

R 8 no watch with peanut

F 6 easy with E

Sa 7.5 including 5k at 18:49

Su 16.5 Ran mostly on trails but mixed in roads and a paved path. Pushed the last couple of miles home.

Total: 68

7/6-7/12

M 8 very easy with peanut. Ran first half with my cousin who's training for her first marathon.

T am 4 easy; pm 11 including 6 x 1000 (3:53, 3:53, 3:53, 3:52, 3:52, 3:49) + 6 x 100 (all 18)

W very very very slow 4 on trails with peanut. Did a little experiment running with the BOB on trails. Kind of fun, but not something I will do regularly.

R 8 with Evie and peanut

F am 9 including 4 mile tempo (6:34, 6:37, 6:34, 6:30) + 4 x :45 hard; pm 4 easy with peanut

Sa 8 easy

Su 18 around 8:00 pace. Ran from home to the park and around the trails. Discovered a 5 mile race was about to start in the park so ran around and then jumped in around the 1.5 mile point of the race and my 12 mile point. Ran with the racers for a while to get a good "marathon paced" push in: 6:57, 6:52, 6:46.

Total: 70.3!

3 comments:

E-Speed said...

sub 7 marathon pace watch out! I find it funny that your tempo paces are faster and my track paces are faster. can totally tell which workouts I don't love :) you gotta give me back CV so I do better on my tempos!

nice solids paces on your workouts, especially considering all those miles.

I am sure you are going to race well this weekend.

i am hemming and hawing too about it and even have plotted out best and worst case scenario times (all PRs, but that isn't hard when your PRs are soft like mine) , but I am leaning towards a no watch just run my little ass off day and see what happens because I am just too much of a mental case right now.

DC Running Mama said...

I'm the same way with committing to RACING a race...I get so nervous about not living up to my expectations and...that I might not be as fast as I would like. You have some great mileage going on! You've inspired me to try the double workout. I've never actually done it before. We'll see...it might be hard to fit in!

I'll be looking forward to your race report, whatever the time! Sounds like you are gearing up for a breakthrough!

Kate said...

GEEZ. That's SOME miles, and great paces!