Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Friends, Competitors, Countrymen

I said this last post: it's hard to compete against friends. It's hard to stay objective and detached, especially when under pressure in a race. We all work very hard to compete at our highest level and every race means a lot when we're at the peak of training. The races are our one opportunity to capitalize on all our hard work. It's easy to take these races too seriously.

Someone commented on my last post and said once racing isn't fun it's work. This is a little over-simplified: it's fun and it's work. But I think the crux of his point is helpful here. At the sub-sub-sub elite level (tm JPW) us runners take our running very seriously. We have to to be here. But at the same time, when we race our livelihood isn't at stake. If we stink up a race our kids still eat. We don't lose an endorsement. We get a smaller trophy. So what? Running is a hobby. It's a source of personal satisfaction, but it's not the be all end all. Things like friendships are more important than race results. Trite, yes. But true.

So with that, I'd like to say E-speed, I owe you a beer.

3 comments:

E-Speed said...

How about a Margarita? lol

I love you girl. I am just sorry my actions took away from what you should know was a great performance by you. You ran a PR and just missed your goal time in shit conditions. You should be proud of yourself.

Kate said...

There is nothing wrong with a sub-elite runner taking things seriously. I'm a midpack runner/triathlete and I do not like it when other people do something that doesn't seem fair. Fairness is fairness, wherever you are!

Quinto Sol said...
This comment has been removed by the author.