Thursday, August 20, 2009

When the Dust Settles

So now that the dust has settled and I've had some time to think about it I realized that a 1:05:21 10 miler is actually my best long race performance ever. I ran a 1:28:39 half in very similar conditions 7 weeks out from my last marathon, while the 10 mile result from Sunday is equivalent to roughly 1:26:45 (according to the Mcmillan calculator).

Even better still, this translates to about a 3:03 marathon. I am running Akron, so I'll take the prediction with a grain of salt (the course is on the tougher side). Since it's about 5 weeks out now, I have been thinking a lot about marathon strategy and I don't think mine is going to involve a time goal as much as it will involve a plan of attack more within my control. The key ingredient for me to have a successful marathon is to relax and trust myself. I hope to relax and handle the race as it comes. I haven't really mapped out my plan in any concrete way yet. But I am pretty sure I will not be focused on a particular finishing time. Although, I'd be lying if I didn't admit I really really really want a pr!

In other news, I am night-weaning peanut. I thought it was going to be hellacious, but he has been totally fine about it. And even better is he is almost sleeping through the night. Just last week he was waking up 7-8 times and demanding to be nursed to go back to sleep. The first night he woke up a lot, but mrp was on duty the first half of the night and got him back to sleep each time until 1 am. Then by the time I was on duty I think his will was broken and he only woke up twice and was pretty easy to get down both times. Then the second night he slept from 7:45-2:30 and then woke up again around 4, but both times he went down easily. Last night he just woke up at 2:30 and mrp handled it. I am so excited for all of us to start catching up on our sleep!

Speaking of sleep, peanut is napping now so I better get something done while I can (i.e. clean my filthy kitchen!) I'll come back soon and post my training for the last couple of weeks. Bye!


4 comments:

Nitsirk said...

Congrats on the sleep training. I don't know how you have managed for so long. Our peanut started sleeping through the night at 9 weeks and I thought I was going to die from sleep deprivation before that. Life becomes so much more enjoyable when you get sleep! Congrats on the PR too!

Lloyd said...

Hi Salty,

FWIW, this is my 6th trip around Akron, albeit as pace leader.

From the locals I've seen race RRAM, the course is about 3-4 minutes slower than what I would expect them to run at a Columbus-type course.

Also, regarding the calculator I seem to race shorter races faster than the marathon so I add 2-3 minutes to what it spits out for the comparative marathon performace.

Good luck with racing Akron. I think your stated race approach is a sound one.

Viper said...

I'll be right behind you ... by about an hour or so. Look forward to hearing more about your strategy. Good luck in these final weeks of training. Cheers!

Heather said...

Oh wow, I'm going to be in Akron for the marathon, too!

I'm doing it as a training run and will be finishing over an hour after you, but I'll be there :)