Thursday, October 15, 2009

Daydreams

I was laying in bed with peanut conked out on top of me and I couldn't really move. My mind was wandering and I started reflecting on the marathon and suddenly it all made sense.

+ 2:30 because my long runs were not long enough. My splits slowed way down the last 5-6 miles and I was running in the 7:50's and I felt like I had picked it up!--means to me that I was running out of fuel.

+ 1:10 for the pitstop--48 seconds for the actual stop and then 6 seconds for getting back up to speed (not easy at all after stopping at mile 17.75) and 8 seconds each for the 2 miles before hand when I was trying not to go in my shorts!

+ :20 for the numb feet at the start. My first couple of miles were pretty slow. They should have been somewhat slow, but maybe not quite as slow as they actually were with my stumpy frozen feet.

+ 2:00 for the course--I actually think it was slow because of the terrain--it sucks the life out of your legs--but also because it is BORING as hell especially later in the race when it's easy to lose focus anyway. Although, the softness makes recovery quick! I feel so so so good now!

+ :30 for a hairpin turn at mile 20.25. Seriously. It's bad enough to start from a stop at mile 17.75 but try it after mile 20.25. Not cool!

+ 2:00 because of my crazy taper/Akron DNF/life stress, etc.

So that gets me to 3:05:45 which is about what I thought I could do on a good day before Akron. Add 3:00-4:00 for my ego and we get a more reasonable 3:09ish.

Yeah, I know this sounds like a bunch of excuses. I like to think if it as an explanation for the result I am content with. The difference being I am in no way trying to take credit for a result I didn't earn, I am just trying to understand the result I got.

2 comments:

4-EVER RUNNING said...

Hey, good to hear from you. You had a great race last Sunday. It has taken me a long time to recover. I will be running Columbus this weekend but not nearly as fast. You are quite the runner. I remember the younger years and how hard it was to balance family and running. It does get better as the kids get older and then you miss them when they leave the house for college. Keep up the good work and good luck in your next running adventure:)

Brian said...

Thanks for the kind words on my blog! It's very commendable for you to be back in race shape within a year of childbirth. Finding the right balance is tough but you seems to have figured it out. Keep up the great running! You're an inspiration to so many in this area.