Thursday, November 05, 2009

Maybe Marathons Aren't for Me

I've been mulling this idea over since Akron: maybe I'm not cut out for the marathon. I think physically I could be a good marathoner, but I think my temperament might not be able to handle 3ish hours of racing. I think too much. I really do. I analyze and overanalyze and allow my mind to throw a wrench in my running. My best marathons were my first when I didn't know enough to over-think it and my last when I just didn't care all that much about the final time--I was focused on finishing and closing out the season. When I cared A LOT about the outcome, the times were decent but I was miserable through most of the race. What's the point of that?

In my last marathon I really made a lot of progress towards letting go and enjoying the ride. I wasn't perfectly relaxed or carefree, don't get me wrong! But, for me I did a pretty good job of not worrying too much and living in the moment. For much of the race I had a smile on my face. That's definitely a new development for me!

Besides my temperament, my life just may not be conducive to marathon training anymore. When I wasn't working and was taking care of just one baby running 80+ miles per week was a bit much but doable. But in a couple of months I start my teaching gig and then in June I'll be having another baby. Although, I scored a double BOB at a super price off Craigslist already, I just don't see high mileage in my near future.

Oh but yes, pregnant again! (In fact, I was pregnant during the marathon--I think my slowish times makes a heck of a lot more sense now that I know this.) It's pretty early still,--just about 7 weeks. Like last time, I considered keeping it to myself, but that's not in my nature. I feel like poop, I totally look pregnant already and it's pretty much all that's on my mind. Plus, I would want to share our story if something goes awry. I don't go to see the midwives until the week before Thanksgiving--they're making me wait until 10ish weeks! It's kind of driving me crazy, but kind of not because there's not a whole lot they could do before then anyway. Maybe now we can hear the heartbeat at the first appointment. That would be nice!

9 comments:

joe positive said...

you what!!!! you are having another baby!!!! oh my word you are having another baby!!!! wow!!!!

(love how you just slipped that in there)

Mnowac said...

I still cannot believe you are preggo again. Can't wait to see your belly next Tuesday. When I go back to work I promise myself no more than a half marathon, it's hard to fit in the time running and when the kids are older we'll have more time to worry about 26.2 miles.

Kate said...

Congratulations!

Katie said...

Oh wow! Congratulations! I'm due in June with my first!

I'm glad to hear that the class you wanted to teach is going to work out!

jsmarslender said...

Congratulations!

The Salty One said...

Yeah. we were a bit surprised. I guess you can get pregnant even if you nurse a champion boob chomper, run a whole heck of a lot and are marginally old :)

DC Running Mama said...

YEAHHHH! Congrats on getting pregnant again! And, that totally makes sense re: your times...esp. after training so hard and well!

Farmer's Wife said...

Coming out of lurkdom to add my congrats! I'm due in Jan with our first little one and reading your blog totally encouraged me that I could be pregnant and run - thank you! Oh, and I deferred my Oct marathon until next October so a BOB is in our future too :) I ran a ten-miler right before we found out I was pregnant and it was the worst race I had ever run -- first trimester really knocks the stuffing out of you!

marathon mommy said...

Woo-hoo! I'm not sure what is more exciting - baby #2 or the fact you got a BOB dualie for a steal :)

Congrats!