Friday, November 06, 2009

Pudding

Now that I'm pregnant I am having a terrible time getting out to run. I only feel up to it in the late afternoon so I have a very short window to squeeze one in. I ran a whopping 20 miles last week and only 12 so far this week. Four miles feels short but at the same time I just don't feel like doing more. The weird thing is that I actually feel good when I'm running, but otherwise I feel horrible. The morning sickness is possibly worse this time than last time. If I can get in at least one nap, I'm ok and even better if I can get two!

After peanut, I swore that if I got pregnant again I would get out and run much more than I did when I was pregnant with him. Now I'm not so sure that's going to happen. I didn't run from weeks 5 - 7 last time, so I'm already doing better this time. However, I honestly can't imagine wanting to run more than 30 mpw right now. Well, check that. I can't imagine wanting to do that pushing a jogging stroller in the cold on the same stretch of bike path day in and day out while pregnant. If I could get out on the trails alone I think I could put in a solid 35-40 mpw. Oh well.

In other news, I am already sporting a rotund middle. Seriously. My mom was over today and laughed at my belly as I lay on the couch in all my nauseated glory. Thanks, mom! I went from tight toned marathoner, to paunchy ambiguously pregnant chick in a week. Crazy!

In other other news, I could really use a job. The teaching gig doesn't pay much and what it does pay won't come until the end of the semester (LAME!) The good news is that I am attending a bunch of seminars this month that I need to keep my law license current so hopefully a little networking will go a long way to scoring some part-time contracting work. I had hoped I'd have an easier time finding something. Worst case scenario it'll just be a year of me not working. Once baby number 2 is 6 months I can probably go back full-time. Ideally, I'd like to hang my own shingle at that time, but the financial situation will do more to dictate what I end up doing. Money stinks. More specifically, crazy student loan debt stinks.

So, I'm off to enjoy some pudding (the only dessert I can stand at the moment) and curl up with a book and my cat while mrp snoozes in the easy chair. Another rockin' Friday night here in mrpandsaltyland!

6 comments:

Nitsirk said...

Congrats on #2. I have to admit I am not ready for that yet. Your post brought back a lot of memories of feeling like crap. Those first few months are tough. Hang in there. Exercise always made me feel better too if only for an hour or so. Still does but the effect lasts a lot longer now :)

Katie said...

At first glance, I thought that Pudding was going to be the nickname of baby #2!

DC Running Mama said...

THey say that you show faster w/ the second...of course, I swore I was showing at 6 weeks with the first. I wish I had more regularly taken pictures so that I could compare when and if I get pregnant again. Also, if it makes you feel better I ran 20 miles or less/week my first trimester.

jessica said...

congrats!

I had a MUCH harder time running during the early part of my 2nd pregnancy, but then found it a ton easier to manage late pregnancy, so, you never know.

Viper said...

Congrats on your second. Good luck staying motivated to run some. Keep it fun.

Mama Simmons said...

yay! Another athlete to go through pregnancy #2 with! :) When are you due? I *think* I'm due July 9 but I haven't had an ultrasound yet to confirm. Anyway, I think I'm about 6 weeks in and I swear I can see it already in my lower belly. And my ass. UGH. REALLY?? ALREADY??

I'm also hoping to run more this time than I did last time. Last time I stopped at 25ish weeks because it stopped feeling good and for whatever reason I just figured running during pregnancy maybe wasn't so good. But now that I have read all these blogs of moms who run all the way through I have hope that I might last a little longer this time. :) I ran 50 miles last week before testing positive on the stick but figure I'll back that off to a more reasonable 30ish from here on out...
Looking forward to following your journey. :)