Saturday, November 28, 2009

A-Turkey-Trottin' We Will Go!

Now that the big birthday bash and Thanksgiving festivities are over I have a second to post something. Phew! It's been kind of crazy around here!

Oh. And in the middle of all that, we had our first midwife appointment on Wednesday. My midwife felt my uterus and thinks instead of the 10 weeks I think I am, that I may be as far along as 13 weeks. Now wouldn't that be interesting? Based on dates, I don't think that's possible. Mrp's convinced it's twins. I'm convinced he's nuts. Tentatively my due date is 6/28 (that's based on my dates). I could be due as early as 6/7. We find out on Wednesday when I go in for an ultrasound! Yeah! We get to see #2!

Back to Thanksgiving and such. Don't think for a second I missed the opportunity to Turkey Trot with all the holiday and first trimester craziness going on! I have to admit I was more worried about waking up before 7:00 than I was about the actual race. I have been insanely exhausted so far this pregnancy and have been having a hard time getting up and going before 4:00 p.m. Seriously. But I think maybe, just maybe, we've turned a corner because I woke up at 5:55 a.m. on Thursday, raced the trot and celebrated the holiday without a wink of a nap! And yesterday mrp, peanut and I hosted a family gathering over here and I cleaned all day and again, survived! I don't even feel too bad today. I took an insurance nap this morning, but now feel bright-eyed and ready to get things done. Who is this chick?! Maybe I am closing in on the end of the first trimester. Hmmm.

Anyway, back to the trot!

My sister is in town and she has been running quite a bit over the last year or so, even venturing to complete her first half marathon (in 2:02! Not bad for a girl who rarely cracked 30:00 for a 5k in high school!) Based on that performance I was confident she could come very close to breaking 8:00 pace for a 4 miler. She thought I was high. Coincidentally, sub-32:00 was about what I thought would be a good goal for me and #2. So, we hit the exurban outlet mall, did almost a 2 mile warm-up plus some strides. That was kind of funny--my strides were my easy pace from September I think! We lined up and breathed in the frosty late fall air and we were off!

I had it in mind I would run with my sister and then "hammer" the last mile or so to help her get a big fat pr. Well, you know how sister's are. I could tell I was irritating her as I kept making sure she was still with me. So, I said tootles and headed on with a pace that felt on the fast side of comfortable. I figured she could still key off of me and I would help her that way. My first mile was 7:59. Not bad, especially since we lined up kind of far back and had to basically shuffle for the first little bit. The 7:50's felt like a marathon paced effort or so, I'd say. It's weird to race pregnant. I want to "race," but I don't want to really race. You know? I don't want to overtax myself, but I want to push myself a wee bit--just enough to feel good and dust off the fast legs a bit. It's really hard to know where the line is, but my philosophy is that if baby's in trouble baby will let mama know! Puking, heart palpitations, dizziness, etc are all things for which I am constantly scanning my physical self. If nausea is at bay, and heart rate feel's ok and my head is clear I proceed.

Anyway, I was trotting along and saw the female leaders after the turnaround--two friends running hard and duking it out. I was only very mildly jealous. To be honest, it's nice to have no pressure and just enjoy the race experience sometimes. I made it to the turnaround myself and saw my sister not too far back. Good girl! We slapped hands and I continued on. My second mile was 7:53. I did a self-check and felt good. So increased the effort a little bit. I expected mile 3 to be around 7:30 but after chugging up some hills it was 7:59. I continued on this pace for about another minute and then I decided I felt good and would really pick it up, so I started to focus on one chick at a time and just started picking off as many as I could. I seemed to have inspired some kid to start sprinting. He's the only person who passed me. It was super fun! I couldn't believe when I hit the shoot and the last mile split was 6:41! Whoa! 30:30. Nice! I definitely felt it, but I was ok. I took my chip off and waited for my sister. She pulled in a little after 32:00. Darn! She was stuck in a mob in the chute and was being all drama queen about needing to puke. Aww. Cute!

Another nice thing about not really racing is that you don't need to wait around afterwards for awards. So, we sisters did a quick warmdown and headed back home to prepare for the remaining holiday festivities knowing we earned our pie!

4 comments:

Angela and David Kidd said...

It sounds like you are nearing the end of the first trimester tiredness. 5:55 is hardcore in the first trimester.

Great job with the turkey trot. I also miss the pregnant "racing" days. It was fun to have absolutely no pressure.

DC Running Mama said...

Tiredness is my biggest fear with getting pregnant again. Nathan is finally sleeping 7-4/5/6am and then again until 7/8 am, so I'm starting to think it might be feasible. I can't believe they think you might be even further along and out of your 1st trimester almost! So cool that you got your sister into running:>

Mama Simmons said...

Sounds like an awesome Turkey Trot! I'm with you on pushing as long as you feel good. Not crazy push hard, but I don't think we have to go as easy as I used to think... You read James Clapp, MD Exercising Through Your Pregnancy? That really made me feel better about everything I want to do. :)

Are you in Ohio? I grew up there... in Hudson, outside of Cleveland. Most of my family is still there. :)

The Salty One said...

MS--

Hudson?! How crazy. Small world. I grew up in Willoughby and Wickliffe. If you're ever in town let me know and we can hook up for a run :)