Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Professional Sweatpants Wearing Baby-Making Machine

I have been trying to stay abreast of current developments in tax law and legal education in general. I came upon an interesting article tipping me off to a movement among law school graduates to warn others about the "law school sham." Apparently, the job market is so bad and there are so many JD's being spewed out every year that many law school grads are left jobless. The problem is, is that law school ain't cheap! Many of these people end up with 6 figure student loan debt and unemployment. SUCK!

Of course, I had a good job. I also have 6 figure student loan debt, after deciding a JD wasn't enough. No, I just really needed that LL.M. from Fancytown U. Who knew I'd leave the professional lawyer job to be a professional sweatpants wearing baby-making machine? I'm lucky that I went to a good school (at least considered so around here) and had excellent grades and all that. But, I can totally relate to the discontent. I feel like I would have been better off settling for a GED rather than the LL.M. I have a couple of little jobs, but those just MIGHT pay my loan payments for the next few months. Woo. The only thing that makes me feel a little better is thinking about the career that surely (right?) awaits me once the kids are in school.

Sure, looking back at life pre-peanut it was so nice to make good money there for a while. I never ever in my whole life was financially comfortable except for the four or so years I worked as an attorney. I rather enjoyed it! I hate worrying about money and it is the one thing really dragging down my enjoyment of my current gig. If we were just a little more financially comfortable then we could... x y and z. I so so so miss the financial independence, but as mrp says we can either have a lot of money or a lot of time. And right now we need the time.

What's kind of weird though, is that now that my teaching gig is fast approaching I am having a hard time mentally thinking of myself as a professional again. I am so used to not showering frequently enough, wearing race t-shirts and not plucking my eyebrows regularly that I am not sure I can be a convincing law prof! Plus, I'll be all rotund and pregnant. Oh well. I'll just have to fake it until I make it.

In running news, I don't feel like running today. I have a very low grade cold. Plus, my only option is the mill and one of my ear plugs blew out and the foo fighters just don't sound very good piped only in my left ear. And besides that I just ate a too many candy cane joe joes. Mmmm.

6 comments:

Mama Simmons said...

Oh I hear you on this whole post. I remember back when I was single and professional and making good money... now, notsomuch. I worry about money everyday and wonder how the heck we're going to do it with another child? But I guess people have done it with less than what we have, so it's possible.

l said...

Oh my gosh I'm so glad you posted this. I have been studying my butt off to take the LSAT because my B.S. and M.S. are getting me nowhere. I keep putting it off though, I am so concerned that I will go to law school and end up unemployed.

The Salty One said...

L--I loved law school and don't regret for a second that I went. It's not for everybody though. Definitely think hard about it, but if you decide it's right for you GO FOR IT! There's a link to my e-mail in my profile if you want to talk about it more offline or feel free to ask me more about it here if you want. Good luck!!

DC Running Mama said...

Wow--I really appreciate that you posted that article. My SIL actually is one of those people that went to law school and *NEVER* got a job. She's been looking for FT work for the past 6 years (she went to a 3rd tier school) and has been doing document review for the past 2-3 years. She actually has moved in our basement b/c the recession has hit the document review profession pretty badly and she's only had 3 jobs in the past year and couldn't pay her rent any more. Her student loans are an albatross around her neck (and ours, we co-signed $30K of her loans). Anyways, it was good to know that she's not the only one in this situation. Not that it helps the situation. As for the $$ thing, think back on your life...when you try to remember specific years, what do you remember most? Your job or your memories outside of your job? For me, I like my job and I enjoy my colleagues, but the memories I treasure are of my friends and family, the trips I have taken, and the races I have run. So, MRP is right...you need more time than $$ right now. Good luck being a professional again! I *hate* dressing up and would much rather be home in sweats all day!

DC Running Mama said...

P.S. Ha ha re: the cookies! I had that problem w/ peanut brittle at work the other day...

Mindi said...

Just thought I'd post because I've been there and come out the other side having been back at work for 2 years. First, I think you (and MRP) are absolutely right on the time thing. And I remember when we went down to one salary it was hard, but we knew it was going to happen and just went with it. I also vividly recall feeling like a complete nonprofessional and that really, really sucked. But I loved being with my kids more. When I finally went back to work, I was really actually kind of scared. But I had no problem at all jumping back into the swing of things, It was great and I really loved it (still do). You take some things for granted before kids. The best news was we were used to one salary, so we used my income to pay off student debts, car debt, etc. in big chunks (now they are gone! :) In fact, we now we have great financial freedom and will actaully be ok if one of us loses our job in this crappy economy. Anyway, just wanted to let you know I completely hear you, but went through it unscathed even after staying home for 7 years. Enjoy those sweatpants, messy hair and globbery bab(ies). Sometimes I really miss those days.